jamin

Engine slow to start - any ideas?

Hi all,

My C has started to play up when it starts. The engine has to turn over quite a few times before it finally fires into life. Once started it runs fine, idle is fine, accelerates fine etc.

It seems that the longer it sits around, the longer it takes to start, it sounds like a fuelling issue to me, could it be the pump? Surely if it was the pump then it wouldn't run properly?

Any ideas on what to check first? This week there was an intermittent 'squeak' coming from the engine bay when running from cold, but soon stops once warmed up, maybe its related...I dont think I have mice in the garage!

Thanks in advance

Hi Mate

The 1st thing to check is the battery- how old is it? How many volts is it showing whilst not being used and how many during cranking?

Battery is fairly new, the engine turns over fine, so its not the battery, it just doesn't fire. Once it does fire it runs fine.

Thanks.

Sounds like what happened to mine. It was something to do with a loss of pressure due to worn piston rings, something like that. It got progressively worse and the day it was due to go to PSI it took about half an hour to get it started.

This is not what I want to here at all! I do think my rings are on the way out though. I get some blue smoke on hard acceleration or when I suddenly come of the throttle - found that out at the 'ring last year.

It wasn't what i wanted to hear either. I was working miles away and i'd only had it about 6 weeks and while it was in i got the old 'might as well do the chains as well'.

Bad times.

Might be something simple though check the less costly things first fuel filter etc and work from there. Good luck fella. Moneypit23's car was a very random one no blue smoke, or any major signs it was just really hard to start it. The old girl (the car not the missus :-p) is doing well after the work though

Jon

I had exactly the same symptoms and tracked it down to a faulty fuel pressure regulator - not too expensive and easy to replace - it's the silver cylinder that sits at the front of the fuel rail on the off side. Worth a try.

jamin - did you resolve this issue?

I have a similar sounding problem - car left standing for a week or overnight or simply for 5 hours and it's a struggle to start. Needs a lot of gas pedal and a bit of spluttering (like when the crank position sensor is knackered) but it gets going and a bit of revving and we are all fine. Subsequent starts are fine - either immediately afterwards or leave it alone for and hour or so.

I've cleaned the ISV, replaced the blue temp sender, MAF, lambda sensor (for other various reasons around using lots of fuel) and am wondering if it's the fuel pressure regulator. And if it was that would I see anything on VAG COM?

as ever, advice welcome - especially from jamin and fendervg

Vag com will not show any info that can help diagnose a faulty fps... One good way is to disconect the vacuum pipe that goes to the fps and smell it :) ... If you smell fuel the that fps is leaking (no good).

And like its been said before.. Its not an expensive part. Just make shure you get the right one (golf vr6 doesnt work)

if its a valver(you havent metioned what engine you have) check the cold start device,others check the fuel filter as said earlier.Have you checked for spark?

if its a valver(you havent metioned what engine you have) check the cold start device,others check the fuel filter as said earlier.Have you checked for spark?

It's a VR6, I have spark as it fires up but needs a lot of right foot to get it to settle down.

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

Vag com will not show any info that can help diagnose a faulty fps... One good way is to disconect the vacuum pipe that goes to the fps and smell it :) ... If you smell fuel the that fps is leaking (no good).

And like its been said before.. Its not an expensive part. Just make shure you get the right one (golf vr6 doesnt work)

Thanks - I'll give that a go!

Golf VR6 doesn't work you say? This eBay item suggests it can be

VW GOLF MK3 2.8 VR6 ALL , MK4 R32 and Corrado VR6 2.9.

:shrug:

Edited by 4eyes2wheels

Yes they are different... Corrado has more fuel rail pressure... Cant remember now but I think corrado has 5bar fps and the golf is 4bar...

They fit... But you will notice poor performance

Sorry 4eyes2wheels.... I might be rong. Went out to check mine it is 4bar. Checked eurocarparts and for the golf is 4 bar aswell. And... 80 pounds bosch part... And you can get 20% off online

Mine was struggling to start after being left over night. Just fitted new spark plugs and leads and it started on the button! Worth a try?

Leads are less than two years old and plugs are a year I think - worth a go though!

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Sorry 4eyes2wheels.... I might be rong. Went out to check mine it is 4bar. Checked eurocarparts and for the golf is 4 bar aswell. And... 80 pounds bosch part... And you can get 20% off online

Nice one - I'll take a look at ECP when I've got some cash together.

if your sparks are new, just check that they are visually ok, which i magine they would be. Does the rev counter needle jump around sometimes? If so, it may point to your ecu relay on its way out. A more pricey consideration would be the crank sensor - best to try and borrow a working one to rule it out. In summary the things to check (in no particluar order) are:

ecu relay 109

fuel pump relay 167

FPR

Fuel pump

crank sensor

FPR needs to be removed carefully - its a bit tricky and then refitting is also a similar annoyance.