stormseeker

VR6 ISV filter/damper hissing???

Item no. 5, circled in red on the attached pic (haven't got an underbonnet snap of this one :-) ) sounds like it's leaking - i.e. at idle I can hear a hissing noise that changes when I cover the heatshield underneath with my hands. I've had the thing off, (but not removed the heatshield yet) and can't see any cracks/holes in it....

Does it normally hiss???

And what excatly is it - ETKA describes it as a "damper" but inside it looks like a foam filter thing???

Yep they normally hiss :lol:

It's basically causing an intentional air leak between the inlet hose elbow and the throttle body.....hence the noise :lol:

K

Yep they normally hiss :lol:

It's basically causing an intentional air leak between the inlet hose elbow and the throttle body.....hence the noise :lol:

K

Yeah, I know what the ISV is supposed to do... :roll: it was the changing of the noise as I covered the heatshield that made it seem as if there was leak under the heatshield itself... ;-)

Yeah, I know what the ISV is supposed to do

Well pardon me :?

Have you taken it off to see if it's split/cracked?

As I say, the noise is normal.

K

Yeah, I know what the ISV is supposed to do

Well pardon me :?

Sorry Kev, no offence meant - got out of the wrong side of the bed today... :wink:

Have you taken it off to see if it's split/cracked?

As I say, the noise is normal.

K

Yeah - but without wrecking the plastic pips that hold on the heatshield you can't really see the (under)side that its covering....

The car's running well, so it's not a big issue, I'd just never noticed the noise before....

VAG-COM measuring blocks show a good lambda at idle, but then if there was a leak, the ECU would just richen up anyway, wouldn't it? If the noise is normal then I really don't think it's leaking - just like I said, the noise seemed abnormally loud... :?

I have those days too and I shouldn't have taken your remark as a snide one, nevermind..... :lol:

The only reason I can categorically state the hissing is normal is because I put a new damper on a few months ago and the hiss remained! You live and learn! Sounds un-nerving when you first hear it though.

I would ignore the lambda measurements on VAG-COM mate.....it can't keep up! So long as the reading 'moves', that's good enough :lol:

K

take the silencer off then.

the instructions in my schrick vgi said to do this, not noticed any ill effects or increased noise since.

Theyve been known to explode you know, so it's possible it could be split.

Mine was cracked on my non schrick vr6 so i bypassed it, i was going to get a fresh one from phatvr6 but he sold it too his sister :D

I had a problem at first when i bypassed it but it was only because i had a kink in one of the pipes, i modded the pipe and it ran fine for the next 10,000 miles until i sold the car.

Good afternoon. just a quick one. my Damper was broken i dont know by what, i removed it and when i try starting the car without revving it switches off? is it supposed to do that without the damper? or am i looking at another problem? please assist

Damn, this thread nearly made it an entire decade without being posted in! :nuts: