Bazmcc

Climatronic swap - is it the only answer? (busted heater controls)

I kept everything off corrado. Remember that mine had aircon from factory... anyway I had to mess with the wirings

Do you have any pics of the unit you installed? Now i'm not sure if mine is a Passat unit or Golf.....

This is the only one I have :(

It came off a 35i passat. This is the square shaped unit, and had to be trimmed to fit. Adapting it to the corrado centre console was a real PITA. I even had to trim the climatronic inner circuitry and the centre console plastic sepparators.... It took about 4 or 5 hours to make it fit propperly, really!!

oh, and you'd know that the climatronic controls the radiator fan as well, so this part of the wiring needs to be removed and replaced with the climatronic one, which works together with the VR6 rad fan relays (the ones in the engine bay)... so if you've not already got'em.. you'll need to wire them as well!!

In addition, you'll need to trim/replace the glovebox if you don't already have A.C., as well as the lower shelf.

Would I do it again? er.... probably as I'm crazy LoL!!!

I think I read somewhere that late VRs already had the fan controller in place to accomodate climatronic?

oh, and you'd know that the climatronic controls the radiator fan as well, so this part of the wiring needs to be removed and replaced with the climatronic one, which works together with the VR6 rad fan relays (the ones in the engine bay)... so if you've not already got'em.. you'll need to wire them as well!!

In addition, you'll need to trim/replace the glovebox if you don't already have A.C., as well as the lower shelf.

Would I do it again? er.... probably as I'm crazy LoL!!!

Oh, OK, good to know. Mine already has aircon (the diavia aftermarket system), and ideally i'm lookig to retain the engine to cabin interface to keep it as simple as possible. My lower glovebox has been trimmed back already, its the wiring that i'm most concerned about. I've also got a new condensor, from a Polo, but its brand new hence likely to be far more efficient than the Corrado one - so i also need to get the connections to fit that to the aircon piping though.

If i'm looking at a turbo further down the line, this might all be redundant as i dont know if the intercooler will fit with the aircon set up:(

Oh, OK, good to know. Mine already has aircon (the diavia aftermarket system), and ideally i'm lookig to retain the engine to cabin interface to keep it as simple as possible. My lower glovebox has been trimmed back already, its the wiring that i'm most concerned about. I've also got a new condensor, from a Polo, but its brand new hence likely to be far more efficient than the Corrado one - so i also need to get the connections to fit that to the aircon piping though.

If i'm looking at a turbo further down the line, this might all be redundant as i dont know if the intercooler will fit with the aircon set up:(

How big is the aircon rad?

Space is at a premium with the intercooler infront of the normal rad, but there's still room to fit a 13-row Mocal in there somehere on the drivers side, so I'd assume with some careful routing you could get an AC rad under the passenger headlight somewhere, depending on its size of course!

its about 3/4 the size (LxW) of the water rad, but about 1/3 the thickness. I've mounted my mocal cooler infront of the pass side headlight, which might mean that the turbo cooler would need to be lower down. Might also need to cut out a section of the front to fit perhaps?

Just found this thread and saw my name still gets mentioned when there's talk of climatronic! Good luck with the install, it's not too bad really and the pain is worth it ten times over once you've finished. I'm just doing mine for a second time as I'm going OBD2, in some ways it's looking like it'll be a better job because the new loom I'm fitting (which has been sat in the shed for over three years!) has got a lot of climatronic stuff in it already.

While I'm at it I'll be looking for a new condensor too as the Passat one I used last time is huge and meant hacking loads of the front panel out, something out of a later model will be going in there.

Have fun!!!

If I go the Climatronic way from a Passat, that doesnt have the electric duction?

That just senses the heat and adjust the flow for that? No need for the ducting in the Corrado to be changed, just the blowerunit?

You need the ducting from the fresh air intake to the heaterbox (and the heaterbox itself). You then use the cabin ducting (e.g. footwell vents, windscreen vent, centre vents and side vents) off the Corrado.

You need the donor car heaterbox ducting because that contains all the motors/vaccuum slaves to open and close the flaps

(this is from a rhd, using MK4 Golf ducting, but same applies to the Passat system)

IMAG0313.jpg

I'm just doing mine for a second time as I'm going OBD2, in some ways it's looking like it'll be a better job because the new loom I'm fitting (which has been sat in the shed for over three years!) has got a lot of climatronic stuff in it already.

Tony - care to elaborate on this? I have both potential projects with my OBD2 loom also sitting in a box. Which ones can be used in the climatronic swop so i dont remove the wrong ones? I have the diavia setup in mine so its more of a modification rather than retro fit per se.

Hi, im going to be doing this conversion to my corrado in the up and coming weeks, thinking of using mk4 golf bits? any areas where im likely to get stuck/other parts ill need?

Also does anyone have wiring diagrams they could post up as how to wire the system into the car?

Thanks for your help, james