Bazmcc

Climatronic swap - is it the only answer? (busted heater controls)

My heater control panel is a disaster. Basically I've broken my original one, got one out of a corrado I broke a while back to find is was mashed and broken too, tried a B3 passat set of controls only to find it was brittle as biscuit and lasted about a week.

So, I need to sort out my heater control panel. And as I'm in the middle of a climatronic swap on my Bora I was thinking that it would be good to have electronic control on the corrado airbox too.

So, how many people have installed climatronic in their corrado?

Did it come on any models as standard?

Can a MK3 golf climatronic setup be used?

Would it be possible to motorise the flaps only without having to install AC?

well i've got a climatronic setup which i'm planning on grafting into my aircon setup somehow. In essence it means a new airbox and control panel and the rest is just wiring into the existing compressor & evaporator. I guess the advantage i have is having all the gubbins already in the engine bay, so mine is more a cabin job.

Tonedef did a clima install on his corrado, and i think someone else installed the motorised box in his too, without the aircon function using a seat control panel - have a search, i'm sure you'll find it.

One thing, it does look extremely smart in the corrado centre panel ;)

I've also got a link for a Mk4 install, i'll post it up as its on the laptop, which might be a help.

Yes the electronic airbox without the AC is exactly the way i'd like to do it. I just want to get rid of the crappy fragile control panel and the cables. They broke twice in my old mk3 as well.

I'm breaking a MK4 Golf V5 10V, the climate is complete less the rads, fans and slam panel

I'm already doing a full conversion on my Bora and have 2 airboxes and 2 or 3 looms. But I assume only the seat leon parts are what I need to fit with the corrado.

Just in case you need this, this is the link to which i referred above:

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/300811.aspx

edit: Bazmcc i see that you already ahve a lot of experience with the clima install, from the Mk4 thread! Might need your help here later to retro fit this into my aircon system...

Edited by fla

Yip i've done the wiring diagrams for most people. But I have even more accurate diagrams now from my own install. As I can use parts of existing wiring.

I just need to make a list of parts needed for the rado before I can start working on it. I want to have all the parts prepped and ready to go for a 1 or 2 day install if I can. I think it should be more straight forward than the bora as I don't need the ac system.

OK thats good to know - i've got the airbox (from a Mk4), control panel and a spare compressor, plus a new evaporator from a polo so its much smaller. What are your thoughts on grafting it in to the existing Diavia aircon setup? Also, where do i apply power to the loom to check all the flaps and dirverters work and that the display functions correctly? Just want to check it all before proceeding.

So you want to transplant a MK4 system into the Corrado?

Does the mk4 airbox even fit behind a rado dash?

I have the test rig wiring setup noted at home. I can post it up for you.

yes i believe so - the corrado aircon unit has the back of the undertray cut and folded back to allow the larger airbox to fit, and i dont believe that the Mk4 one is any bigger, tbh.

The only other concern would be fitting in between the isolation (Schrader?) valve in the bulkhead

The expansion valve should be workable. You might need to twist a few pipes into shape to get it to fit exactly though.

sorry, expansion valve. Not sure what you mean about twisting pipes - does it not fit (with couplings if required) to the inner side of the valve? I'll have a look at my unit again and see what the connections look like.

looks like just your and my thread! The car still has the aircon in it, so I dont know how to line it up. Never mind. I'll take some pics and then see if i need any adaption pipes. Could you post up or pm me the wiring test diagrams - would be much appreciated?

Watching this with interest... my heaterbox has broken cable guides and the controls are a little delicate (even for Corrado controls). I also have a new dash to put in so I have to take it all apart anyway. I don't see much point in swapping the heater box and controls like-for-like if Climatronic is an option. Electrics don't scare me that much (maybe they should?!)

I'm thinking of doing the install in two steps - first step is to get the dash out and get the heaterbox, fan and ducting wired up, along with any under-dash aircon bits such as the evaporator

Then add the aircon at a later date

From what I've read so far, a Seat Leon system is the one to look out for as it fits the Corrado dash without too much fettling.

As for the engine-side bits... I don't know what's best to go for. Obviously the less butchering required the better, but it needs to plug into the Seat climatronic.

Edited by tony_ack

I'll let Bazmcc reply to that as i dont have a clue, tbh. I come up to Sheffield every so often so you're welcome to have a look at my aircon setup and take any necessary pics.

I'm also watching with interest. I have the Davia setup in my Storm and I would love the Climatronic control panel. Even an older one from the Passat 35i shape.

I have a whole OCD procedure for changing the air direction on the fan controls. Turn fan speed to zero, wait 5 seconds, change direction control, turn fan on. The Missus thinks I'm mental!

dunno mate. Set the 2 boxes side by side and see if the pipes line up.

Love that answer mate. Typical Norn Iron like. You wanna take a look at the setup in my Rado? I should be bringing it home (Belfast) in July.

Perhaps I'll have to change my plans... the crack pipe went on the car at the weekend, so that means a front end strip down. Maybe it's a good time to get a condensor and pipework in there. Any ideas for donors for the condensor? Don't fancy tearing big chunks out of the front end, so as small and new as possible really. Seat Leon seems the way to go for the dash stuff... how about the condensor? MK3/MK4 Golf?

I did it. It took me about 2months as I made it work at home as a standalone setup (using a couple of +12v chargers LoL!!). There's LOADS of work involved, it's not only a matter of pulling aircon setup out, and plugging climatronic back in... While you're there, it'd be a good idea to fix and repair all broken wire that WILL be behind your dash, etc..

perhaps some more details on what you left in place in the car from the existing aircon, and how you wired it in. Mine is a lte interior but i dont hink that will affect anything. I have an airhandling unit from a Mk 4 Golf.

whoa! I used a b4 passat climatronic unit, the early one (powered by air servos instead of electrical motors). I've no idea about mk4 unit, sorry :S