Donjon

Steering adjustment play

Now my corrado is on the road i am trying to sort some of the niggles that are still there. One of them is the steering wheel. It adjusts fine put once it is fixed in place it still moves up and down by about a centimetre! As you can imagine this is very annoying. My question is then what is wrong with it and how do i fix it? Thanks

Your problem is a common one on Corrado, the adjustable wheel height pivot bearing is worn and there is no repair possible. You will require a replacement steering column. If you buy a used item make sure it it not in the same condition.

Damn it, i thought it may have been that but now i know, does anyone know if they are still available new?

The height adjustable ones are megabucks new, if still available. Replacement fixed columns can be sourced for a lot less and really improve the feel of the steering.

Have a search for the thread.

My mates car (Corrado VR6) failed the mot on this, and the play was no where near a cm. We took the cowlings off and put a bolt across between two points, each side of the 2 moving parts. Obviously there was no available adjustment then, we had to set it where he wanted it and fasten the nut/bolt. It was so simple and really effective. Really improved the steering feel in much the same way as a fixed column would, but took about 10 mins and cost about 10p.

I'll have a look on mine later to see if I can see the points we used, I seem to remember there were suitable holes already there.

Mine was a bit loose, so I did a similar thing and just fitted a pin that had a ever so slightly bigger diameter. It's totally fixed the play and still adjusts, it feels much better.

Would be really good to see pics of this :)

No pics yet but I've had a look. I seem to remember the bolt would have fitted across where the big spring is in the adjustment mechanism on the lower left hand side. You are effectively just clamping the hinge into a fixed position. I'm not sure if you need to remove the spring, probably though.

me too, mine nearly failed on it last year as well and this sounds simpler than going fixed column :)

I'll take a pic tonight of how it looks as standard as I have no cowlings fitted atm. I can only describe it as above though really.

Thread resurrection! Does anyone have pics of their fix for wobbly columns? I like the sound of new oversized pin and would be happy to know where to obtain one.

Can confirm that mod works. Failed an MOT a couple of years ago on play in the column so had no choice but try that mod - went back and the MOT tester was more than satisfied.

Just make sure the angle suits your driving position. I'm trying to remember but think the wheel has 4 angles of adjustment on the original height adjustment, and it puts it at about the second position up from bottom.

If someone could get pictures of this at some point I would be most grateful :)

Look on the thread at the start of this section, the permanent thread bit, I've just posted a bit of an add to it but the idea and thread is somebody elses. My adjustable steering column was brand new when got car and still didn't like feel, probs. only moved a mm or so but still annoying, the bolt @fix@ is much better than getting a fixed steering column as it's still adjustable, albeit that adjustment is gonna require ya getting ya spanners out, but how often ya gonna be moving it anyway?

There's pics. on the thread should be obvious when view and easy job and fix.

Like I say mine was new but don't see why should'nt fix ya problem totally if just the adjuster that's given trouble.(I'd use a threaded bolt all the way and 3 sets of nuts and washers like I just posted).