Philuk

Possible ignition switch ?

Goto car and sometimes it starts but sometimes just nothing. Ignition lights come on and then next turn there is nothing. Can't get into a pc so can't check and search properly but am I right in thinking it could be the ignition switch? Cheers!

I've never changed it! I tried all 3 keys I have incase it was a worn key but to no avail! any ways of testing it? And are they easy to change?

if youve never changed it you might as well do it anyway. they dont cost alot.

theres a wiki on changing them on here. no need to remove the seat though, just lie it flat.

bend a small pozi screwdriver and its a 10 min job.

I had a dodgy ignition switch mate it would turn the car over but wouldnt start it !!! My mechanic said it was making the wrong connections and turning the motor the wrong way wich in turn was making tjw car turn over but not start !! If thats possible anyway he changed it and its fine now but he did say he had to use a screw driver and hammer to knock the bolts round an out as they had some anti theft thing on them

Dont know if thats any help but minea fine now after he changed it all

hmmm only has one small screw to lock in place to my memory, certainly no need for a hammer!

Sounds like the ignition switch or factory immob. VW usually have the switch on the shelf (£20-ish) as it's the same as the Polo etc. Easy enough to change- the tiny screw is fiddly- you'll need a watch-makers screwdriver (or just one of those ones out of a cracker ;) ). Don't refit it- use a cable tie instead to save future hassle! There's a guide on here somewhere, but no point taking seat out and sorting it from underneath- easier/quicker from above IMHO.

Do you have a factory immobiliser? If so, it's worth cleaning the plug with some contact cleaner or WD40. Just remove the driver's undertray and find the black cable with small black plug that connects to immob module. Unplug, spray & plug/unplug several times to clean. Worked on mine :)

If you need a hand fitting it give me a shout, I swapped mine not long ago AND put the screw back in!

Just purchased new ignition swich from VW dealers in Epsom. Had one in stock Pt. No. 6N0905865 cost £26.89 (£22.41 + £4.48 vat) and comes with a 3 year gaurantee so the salesman said.

nice one dave. ordered mine from dealers today. think he said the same its £22-00 ish. gonna attack it at weekend i rekon!

does they key need to be in the barrel to start the car.... it did it again tonight in sainsburys car park and i had the new ignition switch in the car so i took the cowling apart and plugged the new switch in. turned it so the lights came on and still nothing... surely it should of started but left my steering wheel locked?

any other ideas. - quickly please! sposed to be going to gti spring fest on saturday and need it doing by then! - if not im gonna smash it up. o and the bonnet cable has given in aswell! joy!

Have you checked the earths in the engine bay? Mine had a problem starting a while back, checked the earth and it wasn't doing its job properly. Cleaned it up and it was fine.

Is it happening everytime you start your car? In theory I guess that would work, but the immobiliser would cut in obviously after 5 seconds or so. What exactly is happening? Is it not even trying to turn over?

Been out looking tonight and I think it's the starter motor +12v that's cone loose i could jiggle the wire about so I've tightened it up and just hope that's what it was. I put the new ignition switch in the same as I did last night and it started it up so that means it's not that because that didn't work last night. So this is the only other thing I can think it is. Got the bonnet open with 2 pairs of pliers. One held the clip on the cable and the other to pull the end of the cable and it opened . So Im seeing if my mate can make me one and could maybe get a few done if anyone else wants one?