Rob_B

Rob_b 1.8T 20V Corrado

I thought it was about time that I made a members gallery! I've been on here ever since I bought my corrado, so a fair few years now!

Originally it was a G60 in flash red. A few years ago I melted number 1 piston and so began my journey into the world of engines...

I bought a 1.9 engine set up from gwerks, which was a complete heap of (very expensive) crap from day one! I didn't know anything about engines when I got that, and now everything I know has stemmed from all the problems I had.

So I don't thank gwerks for the crap service and parts, but I can thank them for forcing me to learn a whole heap of interesting stuff (every cloud and all that..).

So that was probably some time in 2005 I think. Later that year there was an incident with a deer on the A47 near home. This deer ran into my car at some speed and made a little bit of mess of my car...

th_a1a9525b.jpg

After getting a little bit of head scratching I decided to repair the car and got the bits together. Luckily it only done the bonnet, wing, bumper, slam panel, intercooler, battery and headlight. Not bad I thought.

So I put a late front end on and got the rallye intercooler re-cored by Pace to my on spec and then it was into the spray booth...

My friends and I built our own spray booth in a workshop and had painted a few cars in the there so mine was next. I decided to go for a colour change as I was fed up of red! So mystic blue it was. Its not the best job in the world to be honest, but it will do until I get it painted again possibly.

After getting the car back on the road I still had a load of issues with the 1.9 engine, which lead to numerous trips to gwerks and loads of engine work at my expense. Eventually, after about 18months of issues I called it a day, took the G60 out and went to buy a 20VT.

Putting the 20VT in was so easy, it took 2 weeks of a few evenings and a couple of days at the weekend. It could be done in a weekend I'm sure now.

So here we are now and the 20V is the best mod I've ever done. I've been through a few sets of wheels and suspension set ups, but I'm really happy with how the car is now.

The spec....

1.8 20v turbo -ARX engine code from a Skoda Octavia

engine has standard internals

forge split-r diverter valve

qpeng downpipe

silcone turbo intake pipe with jetex cone filter

MBE management

custom made wiring loom

Rallye intercooler with PACE core

mocal oil cooler

custom stainless exhaust system with cat removed

solid front engine mount

KW variant 3 coilovers

weitec anti roll bars front and back

Porsche 911 rear calipers on the front with 305mm seat cupra discs

mk4 golf rear calipers with standard discs

17x7 team dynamics pro race 1.2 alloys in black with falken tires

powerflex rear axle bushes and audi tt front wishbone bushes

outside is pretty standard. Have standard headlights but with new glass and plastic trim

Audi TT front seats in black leather on custom frames

black leather corrado rear seats

Audi TT gear knob and gaitor with carbonfibre surround. B & M quickshift

280mm steering wheel for the go kart feel

fixed column

few bits of stereo, but nothing major

scroth racing removable harnesses for when the mood takes me!

some pictures

th_e7726b02.jpg

th_94493fe1.jpg

th_bb15d2e7.jpg

th_7e065a44.jpg

th_99e816ec.jpg

th_ecfddd25.jpg

th_e66735d2.jpg

th_c4ac437f.jpg

th_f8f53e66.jpg

It's not a show stopper by any means, but it handles like its on rails and goes pretty well too. I think that this engine suits the car perfectly and I'm really pleased with how the set is set at the moment. The smile factor is there every time I drive it!

Thanks for looking. If anyone has any questions then fire away. I've done everything on this car myself so hopefully this will show that I have a little knowledge when I try and help other people out, I'm not just a keyboard mechanic!

I must say that I've had plenty of help on the way though from my friends, and I've learnt an amazing amount from this forum

cheers, Rob

the only plans I have at the moment are to get a couple of bits of bodywork tidied up where some rust has started to set in. As always though, I'm sure something will come up! Might change the heater matrix when I have a spare weekend!

Lovely looking car, so many people under estimate the 1.8T engine. I think it transforms the C into a proper sports coupe !

Out of interest,what gearbox are you using ?

Cheers! I'm using the standard g60 box, just had a couple of the synchromeshes replaced a few years ago when the engine was out one of it's many times!

The 1.8t is cracking in this situation. Dull as dish water in a mk4 golf, but fantastic when the leash is let off!

^^ Agreed, I recently took a 20vt rado out and was shocked at just how well the engine suited the car, it's a really good choice for a conversion!

Really like this. Could have been so easy to scrap it back in 2005 when that deer hit you but hats off to you for sticking with it and producing a fine end product. Shame you're over near Norwich as there is a meet in Peterborough in a few weeks, you should bring your creation along.

Really like this. Could have been so easy to scrap it back in 2005 when that deer hit you but hats off to you for sticking with it and producing a fine end product. Shame you're over near Norwich as there is a meet in Peterborough in a few weeks, you should bring your creation along.

I would like to go, but unfortunatly my car does about 25mpg! So with the rising cost of fuel it would be an expensive ride out! Coupled with the fact I'm saving for a house, its tough to justify these little trips at the moment :-(