blue95

Carbon fibre bonnet and turbo

Do any peeps on here have a carbon fibre bonnet and run a turbo?

Just wondered how the bonnet copes with the extreme heat after shut down?

Crazy thought.... but you could actually find out what type of the many many carbon fibre configurations the bonnet is made from and then find out at what temperature they delaminate or get damaged.

It's almost as if there are engineering answers to these questions...

I was asking for peoples experience with a carbon bonnet on a turbo car and if heat build-up had affected the bonnet structurally or cosmetically.

I know specs are important, and most companys claim the bonnets will resist heat etc.

But I would prefer to hear from actual end users.

Edited by blue95
original reply too upsetting

Hi blue95

So far i have had no problems with the carbon bonnet and a big turbo.

Thank you.

I am assuming this bonnet was from performance trim?

Thanks for your useless 'how long is a piece of string' reply.

Obviously you don't have a carbon fibre bonnet and turbo else you would have read the post properly.

So let me re-iterate for you….I was asking for peoples experience with a carbon bonnet on a turbo car and if heat build-up had affected the bonnet structurally or cosmetically.

Not on the make-up of the bonnet and the materials used..…now that would be silly.

His answer was useful you numpty!

If you can find out the material specification of the carbon fibre then you can estimate the maximum temperature range for the material before delamination occurs... which by your statement...

how the bonnet copes with the extreme heat after shut down

is what you where asking for!

if you have a bonnet in mind, find out what it's made from and then you'll know the max temp. turbo or not, your engine wont go above 200 degrees even after you turn it off.

I'd be sure to ready others posts more carefuly before you bad mouth them on a public forum...

His answer was useful you numpty!

If you can find out the material specification of the carbon fibre then you can estimate the maximum temperature range for the material before delamination occurs... which by your statement...

is what you where asking for!

if you have a bonnet in mind, find out what it's made from and then you'll know the max temp. turbo or not, your engine wont go above 200 degrees even after you turn it off.

I'd be sure to ready others posts more carefuly before you bad mouth them on a public forum...

Listen mate theory is one thing practice is another.

I would prefer to hear from people who have had a carbon bonnet fitted and use it with higher than normal temps under the bonnet, rather than reading up specs. Whilst I know specs are important, and most companys claim the bonnets will resist heat etc, there is no better test than actual user testing.

As for bad mouthing...obviously you are blind to a sarcastic reply. Tell you what I will go and delete my reply as obviously it is very distressing for you.

Apologies if I have offended anyone, all I can put that down to is the stinking cold I have. Its just a shame that a post is more likely to attract sarcasm these days, rather than answering the question the user asked.

Edited by blue95

No problems here. Performance trim item with a carbon skin and a fibreglass frame.

Cheers mate.

Nice to know before I make the investment :)

want to buy mine? ;-)

Quicky. : you change your mind more times then I change my underpants !

Good thread, I too am thinking of c/f and fibreglass bonnet.glad they can take the heat with out going floppy !

Does the heat/sound insulation help?

Listen mate theory is one thing practice is another.

I would prefer to hear from people who have had a carbon bonnet fitted and use it with higher than normal temps under the bonnet, rather than reading up specs. Whilst I know specs are important, and most companys claim the bonnets will resist heat etc, there is no better test than actual user testing.

As for bad mouthing...obviously you are blind to a sarcastic reply. Tell you what I will go and delete my reply as obviously it is very distressing for you.

Apologies if I have offended anyone, all I can put that down to is the stinking cold I have. Its just a shame that a post is more likely to attract sarcasm these days, rather than answering the question the user asked.

your response was rude and without thought.

If it was an attempt at sarcasm then you didn't try very hard. And as for others giving you scastic responses in reply I REALLY think you should read over mine and Monkey's posts again. Nothing was said in "jest"...

As for not being interested in the material spec, i can understand you not wonting to accept manufactures figures at face value, they often spin there specs to give the impression of higher performance. And there is a difference between figures on paper and practice. But I would take Monkey's suggestion seriously, before just accepting what someone tells you over a forum.

For instance, i might have a turbo and carbon fibre bonnet and I drive to the shops and back... Low engine temp. My mate with the same car drives to knock hill every week and thrashes the nuts off it, high temp. I would be interested in seeing your engine bay temp after you turn off the engine, your fan will say on for a while after you turn off the engine of course, but the temp will be determined on the specific heat capacity of the engine and components and the total heat energy in the block/turbo/oil/coolant.

No two cars are alike, especially with a 16 year old car. I would seriously consider getting the engine bay temp measured before you accept an off the cuff remark from a car forum.

Lets hope your cold gets better soon mate... It's making you irritable! :p

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Lets hope your cold gets better soon mate... It's making you irritable! :p

that was sarcastic.... and so, by it's very nature, is this response :lol:

My 2P

My turbo was mounted high up and not far off the bonnet and heat was in my mind when i fitted the bonnet,but i added self adhesive reflective heat shield and removed the rear scuttle trim rubber seal to improve and help the flow of air across the engine bay. My turbo had a jacket on and this is a must imop.

Giving the car some decent full power runs and sitting stationary for some time the bonnet was warm to touch from the top side,at first i did get a distinct smell of glass fibre and this stopped after a time and the bonnet and paint had no problem with the heat,also Coullstar has done track days and still the bonnet is fine.

So it will be fine,but you need to take precautions to protect it from the searing heat,if left as is and the turbo mounted so high up and can imagine problem occurring.

As James said, there are things you can do to reduce under bonnet temps.

AFAIK, removing the scuttle trim rubber seal will not only let the hot air escape out of the back, but the air flow over the bonnet will (in theory) create a negative pressure region at the base of the windscreen, pulling air back on itself and under the bonnet, flushing the exhaust side of the engine with ambient air.

I am careful about suggesting turbo jackets. Insulating a device which gets extremely hot as standard can lead to premature failure in my eyes (or push more of the heat into the coolant fluid, whether oil or water, resulting in more frequent oil changes). I would recommend insulating other components AGAINST the turbo heat before mummifying the hottest item in your engine bay. Lining the underneath of your bonnet with insulation will keep that protected and may not actually push the heat into other components as you may think.

I can't remember if fibreglass is flammable but the resin is fairly solvent heavy I think.

Thanks for your comments fellas....some very usefull thoughts.

Think I will defo go for some kind of shield to protect from direct heat, not to keen on wrap though. My turbo sits very low as well, tucked quite close to the block, might just add another small fan.

Not sure about removing the seal....car allready smells of the silicone hoses sometimes, does that smell from the hoses never go? lol

Think I will defo go for some kind of shield to protect from direct heat, not to keen on wrap though.

OR try to get your engine running at a lower temp? Concentrating on uprated oil coolers, water coolers etc. and maybe get the air intake out of the engine bay so your not recycling the hot air (if that is your car in your avatar pic your cone filter wont be helping much)

Yeah the reflective tape works very well. I have a heat sheild over the turbo and not a jacket anymore. With this and the tape the bonnet is ok. In fact the area above the rocker cover gets a lot hotter than above the turbo. I need to replace some of the bits under my bonnet and I am thinking of using this stuff - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEAT-BARRIER-REFLECTIVE-GOLD-TAPE-1-5-x-15ft-010394-/170621250376?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b9d1ab48

These folk are where I got most of my heat tape, exhuast wrap etc and they are very quick at delivering. You get a nice packet of Haribo sweets as well with every order which I still cant figure out why.

OR try to get your engine running at a lower temp? Concentrating on uprated oil coolers, water coolers etc. and maybe get the air intake out of the engine bay so your not recycling the hot air (if that is your car in your avatar pic your cone filter wont be helping much)

Have took out the washer res to help, also considering sticking in the oem tt airbox, as it will probably be cheaper and more effective than any of the other fancy ones on the market.

Yeah the reflective tape works very well. I have a heat sheild over the turbo and not a jacket anymore. With this and the tape the bonnet is ok. In fact the area above the rocker cover gets a lot hotter than above the turbo. I need to replace some of the bits under my bonnet and I am thinking of using this stuff - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEAT-BARRIER-REFLECTIVE-GOLD-TAPE-1-5-x-15ft-010394-/170621250376?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b9d1ab48

These folk are where I got most of my heat tape, exhuast wrap etc and they are very quick at delivering. You get a nice packet of Haribo sweets as well with every order which I still cant figure out why.

Cheers, will check them out :p lol