Sign in to follow this  
Adam M

Increasing horsepower on a G60

Am going to have to have my supercharger rebuilt. Have the option of all the stage 4 stuff at the same time, but not convinced I should do it.

Does anyone know what stage 4 means exactly? Is there any point flowign anything if I am not going to flow other bits? like exhaust? I would like the car to remain standard lookign ideally, so the most I may do is a k and n panel filter.

Does a stage 4 include changing the pulley?

My experience comes completely from turbo charged cars, and the thing I learned is not to increase boost unless the map can accomodate the new boost level. In the case of the impreza, without an ecu change, you can increase boost, and the MAP and MAF sensors detect the extra air and alter the position in the ecu map, so that the correct amount of fuel is added to compensate and maintain A/F ratio.

The standard charger boosts to 0.6 bar I am told, does the standard map operate a maf/map sensor in the same way as my impreza?

If so, does the map in standard ecu have the capability of handling 0.8 bar or whatever the new boost is without being modified?

sorry for all the questions, but I am a newbie!

The Stage 4 upgrade depend on where it gets done,

The Chip does come with a new smaller pully and if you get the charger done to stage 4 the chip is ment to need doing to cope with the Boost on a stage 4 charger you should see 14psi.

However if you stage 4 the charger the first problem is the silence box of the charge, remover that and fit with a RSR outlet type unit. The head is then the most restrictive part, then the manifolds and then the intercooler, from what i understand.

With regard to your enquiry ref rebuilding of your G charger, each rebuilder will adopt terminology. For our part a stage four rebuild offers replacement of all seals and bearings, application of low friction coating to internal surfaces, and mild porting to the inlet and exhaust areas of the casing. Clearly the object being to enhance the efficiency and operation of the charger. For more specific detail see http://www.pd-motorsport.co.uk

Forget for one moment the tuning side of life. The essential priority here is to ensure the charger is rebuilt every 40,000 miles. One might require to entertain more frequant rebuilding if usage or state of tune dictates. In any case don't allow your charger to detonate out of ignorance or neglect. Sadly this is all too often the case, and although we can repair some casings others are just too far gone.

With regard to tuning, decide what you want from your G60. Do not be dictated to by fassion. Like all matters relating to tuning, balance is essential. There is no sense in modifying one or two components on there own. Discuss your budget and requirements with a company of your choice and make your efforts count for something. We have many stages of tuning specific to the G60 which in turn can be broken down into affordable phases. Not all of these works are "glamorous" sratements but none the less essential to creating a balanced, reliable economically viable engine.In the G60 VW produced one of their best creations, in our opinion.

HI!

The MAf on a G60 ends at 1 bar !!! See snstuning.com

To run 0.9 bar you need the 3.5 FPR.

From there you need new injectors.

For more that 1 bar you need custom chip for exact max pressure you are using as it will be "inprinted" in the 1 bar entry line. Ok, tou may use 1.1 and have no trouble but you are punshing it!

Best regards

Holy thread ressurections! There's nearly 3 years between 16VG60 and Trakx's posts! :crazyeyes: