sexybourbon

lower arm bushes

I need some advice about the lower arms on my car

Its in for mot on the 9th and it needs new lower arm bushes drivers and passengers side

Iv got the bushes ordered i just want to know how hard it will be getting the arms of and how long each arm should take roughly im ok with my tools and dont mind gerrin stuck in

Iv got all the tools and a good windy gun to get the bolts off

I dont really want to pay a mechanic to do it if i can save myself a bit of money

I think i would get the arms of and then have a garage just press the bushes out and in

That should save me say 50 ,60 quid surley

Any advice welcome

just buy complete arms with new bushes already in then all u gotta do is switch the lower ball joints onto the new arms

One hour each side if it goes to plan... ie the bolts come undone ok.

New TT / R32 bushes are £12 from VW / audi.

The wishbones that come with BJ's already fitted are awful quality - fit VW only if buying new ones!

i didnt realise how cheap the tt bushes where i was going to got for the r32 bushes but instead decide to powerflex them

i know some people dislike this as the ride is compromised but i know they last longer and to be honest the rides bumpy compared to the norm car anyway

i didnt really think of getting new arms as surley they will be ok ie not bent as they are solid steel so being no show car decided to just replace the bushes , i got them for 65 quid delivered and that consists of two bushes for either side arm

i soked the bolts in dw40 the other day when iwas sorting the brake lines out for mot so there probs as good now to get off than before

i think if they are an hour a side ill give it a go if worst comes to worst ill just run away and leave it on my dads drive haha

The powerflex ones are reletively soft and can be put in yourself too...

The tough bit is getting the rubber out of the sleaves in the old bushes - it will seem invincible to every tool you own. Then some careful hacksawing can split the sleeve so that you don't need to get it removed at a garage...

From memory, the front (smaller) powerflex bush comes in two halves and can be put in by hand from either side, the rear ones need to be squeezed in with a vice - copper grease everywhere is a must.

Things to watch for if you do it this way...

1. Make sure you don't badly score the inner face of the wishbones with the saw (mild marks shuold be ok).

2. When you are pressing in the rear bush, make sure it stays square when its starting to go in (IIRC there is a rounded side to the whishbone hole and an angled edge on one side of the bush)

HTH

cheers for the info mate i think ill give it ago , i have a big vice copper grease and all the tools so should try it really it will ad to the what i can do without having my pants pulled down , i hate paying other people to do things i know i could probaly do myself lol maybe im a bit tight ......or always skint

ill keep all the info in mind when i have a go cheers bud

I bought a pair of new bare wishbones fom avs to fit some Deflex poly bushes in and the quality was so bad I sent them back and refurbished the originals. Also the Deflex rear bushes are like a cotton reel in shape without their own sleeve like the originals have and due to the way the avs arms were made they just flapped about in the holes.