rumlad

Hello. New VR owner plus pics

First post - so hello corrado forum. Ive not owned a corrado yet, but ive been a fan of them for ages and I think its an itch I need to scratch pretty soon. I was at GTI springfest at the pod last month and saw some lovely looking rados, including an R32 converted Storm, which pretty much convinced me i wanted one. Ive got a mk3 golf 16v daily driver, so im familiar with vw's from that era, and also a type 2 baywindow westy which has just been taken out of winter hibernation.

I am actually planning on going to see a few this weekend and wondered if anyone on here has previously owned or knows of M459 JOA - tornado red VR6? its had 6 prevous owners so it likely someone on here might know of it?

cheers

**UPDATE** Found one, see below.

Edited by rumlad

No, missed out on this one. Diddnt get to see it in the end. Did look good though.

So the search is still on....

Hi Guys - went to see a vr6 down south earlier in the week, just like to get your thoughts.

Plus points: very clean and straight bodywork, with only a little bit of surface rust at the bottom of one of the front arches. VERY good service history, no smoke at all on start up (from cold) and the engine was very smooh and quiet.

Bad points: ABS light came on and stayed on. Once the car was warmed up and later on in the test drive the idle was sometimes slightly erratic. And im pretty sure there may have been a slight judder when pulling away in first on a few occasions - but that could have been his driving. Also sunroof was tempramental, but apart from this and the ABS light, all other electrics were ok.

Now obviously the biggest concern is probably the ABS, and im aware that this is more likely to be a straight forward fix, but could be the pump. He's had his local mechanic look in to it a few times and it appears he hasnt found a solution.

What do you guys think? worth a punt at the right price?

The body work was the straightest ive seen so far, and the engine was the smoothest and quietest so far, which TBH are good resons to buy, but should those niggles put me off??

Hi mate,

Was good to talk to you the other day- sorry mine sold before you could have a look! Do you know anyone with VAGCOM? Absolutely essential to get the codes checked if the light is staying on. If it's just a sensor, it's an easy fix. These often just get dirty, or the ABS rings get dirty, turning the light on, although it often goes off again if you restart the engine. If the sensor is broken, it won't be a huge bill. If it's the pump though, it would be tricky to replace + you'd have to find a second hand one due to the mad price of a new unit. If it's the ABS ecu, you should be able to find one second hand quite cheap and it's easy to replace.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it until I was absolutely sure.

Erratic idle could be any number of things- airleak, ISV, leads, coilpack, MAF etc.

Hi Andy - Yes on the face of it your VR looked like the one for me, and was a shame I missed out but it looks like its gone to a good home. I snoozed and I loosed!! Il keep looking though - and I actually enjoy the search almost as much as owning the car.

Ive had a chat with the seller tonight and he's had it vag-commed today and the fault code that came back was for the brake pedal sensor. Now he has had this replaced in the last year (ive seen the bill for this) but it looks like its not solved the problem and the same fault code is now appearing. So it would appear that the replacement sensor is to blame.

Ive had a mk3 gti before and these suffered from the same ABS problems, and as with the corrados it was almost always the sensors or the rings. They did'nt have problems with the ABS ecu though, that seems to be just a rado thing.

I think if i can settle on the right price I think I will go for it. Its rare you get one with everything working, and ive not seen one yet where there havent been a few niggles. If the bodywork and engine werent in such good nick - I obviously would have walked away by now.

Picked up my new VR last night. Chuffed to bits with it. Had the obligatory 'drive home with massive grin on face' . Car drove faultessly, engine very smooth with the temp sitting between 102 and 110. Only problem was the NS wheel caught on the arches once or twice on a few dips on the motorway, so the coilies will be raised a bit this weekend. Crap iphone pics...

corrado2.jpg

corrado1.jpg

101K with FSH and stacks of invoices, supplied by Gilders VW in North Yorkshire and then pretty much spend most of its life down in Herts and then Surrey, and then to West Sussex where I picked it up from last night. Engine is completely stock, with the only mods being the coilovers and the 17" oz canyons (ive got the speedlines too). Bodywork is very straight and paintwork looks awesome (needs a clean though), apart from a tiny bit of surface rust at the bottom of one of the arches that il get sorted soon.

Initial plans are:

1. Completely overhaul all suspension parts/mounts/bushes etc, it handles well but I know that everything under there apart from the coilies will be reaching the end of their service life. Looks like it needs new discs all round too.

2. ABS light on - vagcom showing brake position sensor so start by changing that (DG)

3. Change the wheels as personally I think the 17s are a bit too big and the offset a bit low (although they are growing on me), I've got some 16" audi speedines at the back of the garage somwhere that will do for now.

4. Sort the bit of rust on the arch and patch up the underseal

Lots of future plans but priority at the moment is getting it tip-top mechanically. Im pretty sure this forum will get loads of use.

'101K with FSH and stacks of invoices, supplied by Gilders VW in North Yorkshire'

Do you mean Gilders Selby ? if so i may have sold it as i was the resident salesman at this time, my manager also had one of these as a demonstrator but i can't recall the colour.

Looks a nice motor, love the look of wheels but personally i think 17's are too much of a compromise ride-wise.

Cool! Yep, Guilders Selby, delivery date was 24/08/95.

Im in the process of refurbing some 16" speedelines so they will be going on as soon as ive done that.

So il be selling the OZs if anyone's interested??