carrots

is it worth messing about

been in the car today and it felt like brakes where stuck on a little.i fitted a rear caliper 2 months back so thought its the opp side.turns out its the front.is it worth trying to free it off

if i was you idd check the caliper guide pins,grease em up if nessacery, remove the caliper from the carrier and press the pistons back and refitt then see what happens, failing that idd change the calipers with ones from a breakers,im fairly certain you can replace them with mk4 golf ones as long as you get conversion hoses to suit, iv done this mod on the rear for better hand brake with no problems other then the hoses being seized ish!..

Not sure when you should ignore the brakes sticking on?

Most likely the piston is sticking, but its only a couple of bolts each side to get the pads out and clean up the carriers to make sure they are not causing an issue.

New front calipers are nothing like the price of rears irc

Hello mate whatever you do DO NOT leave this, I had exactly the same problem experianced problems one morning then faded off and then travelling back from an edition meet locked up and sailed into the back of my friends car!!! Im my opinion check over the calipers or in my case junk the originals and buy a complete 288 set up from a later golf for about £50!!! Its really not worth the pain and cost if left.

ive just driven it back from the missis house and it wasnt stuck.dont think later golf brakes would fit mine as its 4 stud.might just get another caliper

Na you could do a G60 conversion though with 280 discs but i think the 256 are enough for the valver if they are working right of course.

yer i think the 256 are fine when they are working ok.i think its time to get the spanners out after work and fit a new caliper.i was only saying the other day ive not had any probs for a month with the car.it must of heard me lol

yer i think the 256 are fine when they are working ok.i think its time to get the spanners out after work and fit a new caliper.i was only saying the other day ive not had any probs for a month with the car.it must of heard me lol

Tempted fate buddy :) hope you get it sorted asap! nothing like a set of brakes that work lol!

will do later depending on the weather and that got a caliper in stock.strange its not stuck now tho but the rear un used to un stick

Binding rears are less of an issue but binding fronts are a major problem due to the amount of heat that gets into the bearing and kills it.

So unless you want to pay out for a front hub bearing replacement be very careful with a binding front caliper.

i'd be of the old skool approach - do one side, best do the other!

been told it could be hose aswell,looked on ebay thats the cheapest ive seen so far for calipers

sorted it today,it was just the pads sticking in caliper.i ground a little off the metal part of pad and put some copper slip on um