Bryndlemotorsport

1992 Corrado VR6 restoration

Hi guys.

I have bought this Corrado for a restoration project, it needs a lot of love and TLC but its not out for the count yet! Its a 1992 VR6 in flash red(?) Standard kit, nothing exciting to mention. I bought the car of a friend who was going to break it for spares, but I thought it was far too good to scrap. (As you can see the lights were already sold.)

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

First the engine and gearbox came out. This setup is being sold and will not be used again in this car. :cool:

IMG_1463.jpg

In its new home

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

Then I began removing the loom, wings and other ancillaries.

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

This morning I removed the bonnet,ABS gear, PAS pipes and all other bracketry.

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

Thats it for now until I get more time. My first aim is to get the car stripped back to a basic shell. Then I will remove the underseal and treat any rust (and there is some Very nasty rot on the NS/R wheel arch.) then paint the arches and underside before the interior is given the same treatment. The shell will then be sent off to have the exterior painted before I start restoring the running gear and building my new engine.

Hope you like it, comments and criticisms welcome.

Cheers. Bryn.

I'll follow this one with interest.. as Gareth says, you certainly have a clear plan on what's going on here so I presume progress will be pretty brisk! :)

Keep us posted!

What was wrong with that for it to be broken? I want to beat people who break perfectly decent 'rados!

Welcome to the Corrado Rescue Society :cat:

Cheers guys. The car has some very nasty corrosion to the N/S rear arch and sill. It had been bodged up with fibreglass and filler and painted to hide it. It was ony when I started un-peeling the bodges that the true extent of the rot came clear. The plan is to cut most of the sill and inner arch away and fabricate a series of repair panels to weld in. The aim is for a factory quality finish with the repairs. The rear silencer hanger has also corroded through, so this area will be cut out and repaired also. Other than that the body appears to be fairly sound.

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

In the picture above you will see a 16v engine on the stand and the cylinder head on the bench is half way through a porting and polishing process. Once this engine is finished I will be building an OBD2 VR6 engine with a few nice specs and goodies for the Corrado (The engine is the nearest one to the camera under the bubble wrap.) This will most likely be installed with OMEX engine management as long as I can get the loom sorted.