Sign in to follow this  
.A.N.T.

How much use is that little spoiler then??

Been wondering that on and off for years since I first saw a Corrado, but now think about it a lot more as every time I hit 45mph I'm reminded...

How much use is that little spoiler that pops up so nicely at 45mph?

If I were doing a 0-60 1/4 mile type thing, would it be worth removing the fuse for it to keep it down so there is less drag from the back of the car?

(Ok, I wouldn't actually do that as it wouldn't make a huge difference to mine, but if I had a superly tuned one would it make a difference??)

Well it was designed by VW for a reason.. they wouldnt have put it on there if it didnt make a huge amount of difference.

Off the top of my head, I would assume its to help keep the back end down when doing aggressive cornering (I have heard that the VR does like to loosen up at the back, despite the Corrados superb handling and poise) and to keep the car stable under heavy braking from speed.

But you are right.. if you are after pure speed, the spoiler does introduce an element of drag. Not an awful lot but..

try it

lift the spoiler n drive about at low speeds.

see what happens?

disconect and do 70 n see how it feels

there is a noticable difference.

think VW say upto 60% extra downforce.

The spoiler doesn't really produce downforce. It's there to spoil the lift effect at high speeds. So it only reduces lift, not create downforce. It's a common myth...

Pau1

The spoiler doesn't really produce downforce. It's there to spoil the lift effect at high speeds. So it only reduces lift, not create downforce. It's a common myth...

Pau1

and not all of them lift up at 45mph just early ones.....later ones lift at approx 56-60mph......and the first production ones(for the german market afaik) seemingly lifted at 80mph but cos of the speed limit here they reduced the activation speed so that uk drivers couldn't have been done for speeding

and i'm sure you can adjust the activation speed too.............sure its on the american corrado owners site

you can adjust the activation speed.. there's some soldering and electrical involved. there is a tutorial somewhere i've seen... cca i think.

or you can just disconnect the automatic activation and do it manually like me :D

Its there to Reduce drag and cut the lift factor otherwise the C is shaped like an aircraft wing. The Audi TT is the same, thats why they have that little spoiler on the boot now, called the conversion kit. i believe that is a MUST FIT in the states now!!

The Audi TT is the same, thats why they have that little spoiler on the boot now, called the conversion kit. i believe that is a MUST FIT in the states now!!

The Audi TT spoiler isn't a "kit" - it is required!

There was a major recall when the TT was released, as they found the car just lifted off the road and flipped when the driver pushed the car past 140mph IIRC. Kinda large flaw me thinks. So if you see a TT without a spoiler, they either have a death-wish or don't go past 60mph... So its a must fit everywhere AFAIK! I think the recall involved suspension tweaks too.

I was nearly right:

"THE SAFETY RECALL". In mid October, Audi worldwide announced a voluntary recall of its TT. The move comes under criticism that the TT looses control during high-speed encounters. From what I have read, the so-called high-speed encounters are at or above 125 MPH. That is also why there have been no reports of such occurrences in the USA. The Germans are know for speed, that's why German cars are built for speed because they really do drive that fast. The autobahn, the worlds super highway, there are no speed limits and German cars are built to comfortably cruise above 100 MPH. So German cars, like the beer purity laws, are built to handle the daily German commute. It is because of the German high speed demands that forced Audi to announced a voluntary recall in mid October of its TT. The recall involves some component replacement such as front lower control arms, sway bars, shocks and the addition of a rear spoiler.

The Audi TT is the same, thats why they have that little spoiler on the boot now, called the conversion kit. i believe that is a MUST FIT in the states now!!

The Audi TT spoiler isn't a "kit" - it is required!

There was a major recall when the TT was released, as they found the car just lifted off the road and flipped when the driver pushed the car past 140mph IIRC. Kinda large flaw me thinks. So if you see a TT without a spoiler, they either have a death-wish or don't go past 60mph... So its a must fit everywhere AFAIK! I think the recall involved suspension tweaks too.

Andi the Recall was done under the name of "conversiton kit" if i remeber correctly, and it was an Advised recall in the UK i think and an mandatory one in the US from what i remember

As I said, if you drove your TT hard and didn't go for the recall, you might regret it..

As I said, if you drove your TT hard and didn't go for the recall, you might regret it..

:lol: :)

TT driver: "Hmm, lets try and catch that Corrado..."

Andi spies a TT trying to catch him, so hits pedal to metal and is soon doing 130mph.

Andi then looks back to see a flying TT weaving across the road, smoke fluming from the tyres

Niiice :lol:

its there to flick up at lights to impress the chicks sitting behind you!! and also possibly to cause a rear end collision by someone driving into you cos their too engrossed in 'hey, his spoiler disappearing into his car' to brake!!!

Mine pops up at 57 mph which is just about right, cos if you overtake someone on a normal road its just popping up as you you pull back in front of them. But then I'm just a posey git!!

yep, thats why its there! ...to piss off the guy you just flew past..especially if he's driving a HONDUH!!! :twisted: 8)

I tend to flick mine up when I see people pointing at the car... occasionally when Im pulling away from lights I have some idiot trying to climb up my boot I accelerate gently to 45mph and let spoiler come up then hit the pedal hard - always makes me laugh *:) - prefer the look of car with spoiler up though *:)

And 60% sounds about right but like mentioned its to reduce lift not increase downforce at rear *:)

, i nearly bought a renault 19! :shock:

Guffaw :lol:

We're going to have to start vetting who we let on these forums!! :shock:

:wink: :p

, i nearly bought a renault 19! :shock:

Guffaw :lol:

We're going to have to start vetting who we let on these forums!! :shock:

:wink: :p

Its a good job i was joking!!!! :shock: :lol:

I can't help thinking that if you throw a TT into a bend at 125mph +, you're asking for trouble anyway! This is why the recall was voluntary I think as it doesn't occur within the speed limits. The Autobahn does have speed limits now but there are still a few sections of it unrestricted.

Kev

Well it does have quattro.. i'd rather throw an Audi TT into a corner at 125MPH than some of the other cars out there!! :)

Well it has a 'kind of' 4WD system, put it that way!! The Haldex system is nothing like as good as Audi's original torsen diff'd quattro system. The Haldex is biased more toward the front and only really drives the rear wheels fully in the event of front wheel slip. I haven't driven a TT but apparently you get a noticeable shunt when the power transfers to the rear......doesn't sound nice!

I can't help thinking that if you throw a TT into a bend at 125mph +, you're asking for trouble anyway! This is why the recall was voluntary

The 'flippings' occured in straight lines though.... No corners required.

The additional spoiler does the same as the Corrado one - reduces upthrust stopping the car going all floaty-light with all the air pressure underneath the floorpan.