Sign in to follow this  
.A.N.T.

How much use is that little spoiler then??

Ferrari had a cunning idea. They fitted an inverted aerofoil underneath their cars so that it created a downforce and sucked the car to tarmac!

Quote "Ferrari had a cunning idea. They fitted an inverted aerofoil underneath their cars"

Ya can't see that though.......... :lol:

I always thought they were trying to muscle in on Porshe. A 6 pot lump with a pop up spoiler sports car. Sounds quite 911 to me :!:

Apparently the Corrado was the first production car to have an active spoiler (so i've heard). I might be wrong so don't quote me on that one.

The porsche spoiler is used to draw more air into the engine - not for handling. But I'm sure it helps a little :)

C'mon guys, I could actually delete the last 8 posts, and there would be absolutely no content that the thread would miss.

Edit: 8 posts deleted. Completely off-topic. A bit of banter here and there is perfectly acceptable and welcomed - Please try not to steer the threads off-topic though.

The car looks so much better with the spoiler up. I surprised as mine (Italian spec) only comes up after 130 km (81 mph) which is autoroute speed limit. The good thing is that you can get pretty easy :lol: . I can remember some TT’s doing some very nice back flip on the German autobarn’s that’s one of the main reasons for their recalls. :lol:

Mine is a late model '93 16v and my spoiler comes up at 45mph.... Would be better if it came up at 60 though.....

Had a right go at some lar-de-dars the other day, the muppets had sat their 5 yr old kiddie on the retracted spoiler.. spanners!

The car looks so much better with the spoiler up. I surprised as mine (Italian spec) only comes up after 130 km (81 mph) which is autoroute speed limit. The good thing is that you can get pretty easy :lol: . I can remember some TT’s doing some very nice back flip on the German autobarn’s that’s one of the main reasons for their recalls. :lol:

My cspoiler comes up at about 122km/h on my German spec G60 jet!!!

It’s really weird that all the spoilers seem to react differently. Dose this have any thing to do with the spec, the year and model?

It’s really weird that all the spoilers seem to react differently. Dose this have any thing to do with the spec, the year and model?

Look earlier in the thread - Roddy said...

and not all of them lift up at 45mph just early ones.....later ones lift at approx 56-60mph......and the first production ones(for the german market afaik) seemingly lifted at 80mph but cos of the speed limit here they reduced the activation speed so that uk drivers couldn't have been done for speeding

plus with a little bit of tolerance in the electronics of the control module and you'll get either 45-ish mph (72 ish kmh), 57 ish mph (91 ish kmh) or 80ish mph (128 ish kmh)

:wink:

Well I drive an Italian spec which must be the same as the German C’s.

But even so mine comes up at 130 which is maximum speed limit on the autoroute.

Well I drive an Italian spec which must be the same as the German C’s.

But even so mine comes up at 130 which is maximum speed limit on the autoroute.

130 ~ 128 :?: :?: :?:

128 if it makes you fill better!!!

You can barely see the difference on the speedo and normally I’ve got my eyes on the road at that speed.

I've done a little aerodynamics in my time, so here goes... yes, the spoiler is just that, it spoils the otherwise smooth air that would create lift. Simplified: air going over the top of a smoothly rounded car has more distance to travel than that travelling underneath, hence it goes faster to keep up, hence it becomes less dence and sucks the body underneath it (be it aeroplane wing or Audi TT) upwards into its place.

The spoiler destroys this smooth flow of air (you can see the vortices it's producing in the above pic on the right), reducing lift, at the expense of increased drag. It does not create downforce, the car will not be made to weigh more than its static mass, it just makes it less light.

Undoubtably the Corrado spoiler will have an effect, but by how much is debatable. The fact that on different models it comes up at very different speeds is a clue; surely the aerodynamics are the same for all cars, and hence there'd be an optimum speed that the spoiler should raise for all. These differences suggest it's mainly cosmetic.

Personally I find it's quite useful that it comes down, for reversing if nothing else...

As for the TT debate, I understand that they were all recalled for aerodynamic AND suspension tweaks, both designed to better tie down the rear end. The TT is a failrly convincing aerofoil section in shape (far more so than a Corrado), so it will generate lift. However, the consus from people who know driving (such as Evo magazine) was that the original, uncorrected TT felt safe anyway and handled better than the duller-handling update. Just how many cars are completely safe to be 'thrown' into corners at three-figure speeds anyway? Is a Corrado?

it acutally reduces drag, because the flow off the rear of the car is far from smooth like the TT. as you can see from the photo above the flow is also sucked from under the car increasing down force. if it can be call that. the effect is increaseing the speed of the restriced air flow under the car making that travel faster to reduce and lift from the shape of the car. Basically as i have already said in this thread, the air flowing under the car is limited, so if you increase the speed of that air it creats a low pressure zone. just like slowing the air over the car.

As for the speed it is activated at has nothing to do with how usfull it is, as the spoiler will have a min operating speed, the fact that it moves at different speeds reflects the fact that the UK speed limits are so low and it would never move

monoboy: dead right: The point of the Corrado rear spoiler (just in case someone hasn't already mentioned it) is that it comes *down* for parking rather than it goes *up* for driving fast. It was really designed to move only because rearward visibility is (more) shite with it up.

The reason different cars have different cut-off speeds was also thought to be political - the thing has very little impact below serious speeds anyway, but in the UK for example, a spoiler that raises at 60mph rarely gets seen in it's raised state, so they made it raise at lower speeds...

I seem to recall in the original top gear program where they featured the corrado they said that they had shifted the spoiler raising speed from 73mph=> 45/55 or so for the UK due to the speed limits, but that it has no appreciable effect below 70 anyway...

Mine (German spec VR) pops up at 120Kph...