beaky

Sunroof motor replacement

Afternoon all.

I have a problem on my 96 vr6 sunroof where the roof will only slide only less than a centimetre at a time, it initally opens approx 4 centimetres OK before this behaviour happens in both directions. Tilt is fine. I have been reading all the sunroof problem threads I thought the motor may be weak so I got a replacement.

Can anyone advise me on the correct procedure for fitting the new motor. Is it a simple case of with the sunroof closed take the old motor out and fit the new motor?

Thanks for your advise in advance. :cheers:

Rich

yep simple as that . Have a read about syncronising the motor to the sunroof though.Also make sure the sliders and other moving parts are well greased up. regards rob

Edited by robrado974

In my (extensive!) history of corrado sunroofs.....I would say its highly unlikely to be a tired motor. The motors are very tough, (they are geared up for loads of torque). Its obviously worth a try for the cost of a motor but be prepared for possibly more work. The mechanisms are crap and the motors are very good. As rob says make sure you synchronise the motor and mechanism properly, you will be wasting your time otherwise and putting collosal strain on everthing.

Thanks for the advise, do you know the best way to synchronise the motor and mechanism?

Thanks for the advise, do you know the best way to synchronise the motor and mechanism?

Manually place the sunroof in the closed position.

Before refitting the motor plug it in and run the motor to the closed position.

Refit the motor.

If you have auto closure just lock the car before refitting the motor.

I had a similar problem with mine recently and a replacement motor cured it.

I had this issue on my car. Turned out to be the motor. Not sure if it was the actual motor knackered or the fact the previous owner fitted an early motor.

Either way that was the issue with mine with exactly the same symptoms as you.

It's been a while since I played around with a dodgy sunroof, however I had a similar problem and discovered that it was a cracked cog in the motor that was the problem. It might be worth having a quick look inside the motor to see if that is what the problem is? I tried to repair the cog, but it kept breaking. I ended up taking a quick trip to the breakers yard in the end. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the advise, I have the new motor in which is better than the old one but still stops on the slide about half way back now, I have greased the rails, should I grease anything else? Does anyone have any other suggestsions on what I should try next?

Thanks again

Rich.

The sunroof opened fully and closed fully in one go last night, must be a combination of greasing the rails and a new motor.