Sign in to follow this  
aide

Embarassing air box

Drilled my airbox a while ago, and at same time removed the snorkel, shoved a cold air feed in and bought a K&N filter for good measure… anyway, the ‘induction growl’ was doing my head, especially under load, so I shoved the snorkel back in (another forum think removing snorkel actually undermined good induction, and only served to make a sh1t load of noise :roll: ) and consequently the ‘growl/ noise’ is less…

Anyway the noise is still doing my head in, and whilst I want the quicker pick up, and can live with some noise, I want it a bit quieter. :x

What causes the noise? The major ribbing of the air box suggests it limits the box’s reverberation, therefore would bracing the box further help?! At the moment I’m even considering carpeting the box, either in it’s own enclosure, or even lining the box with carpet tiles :lol: … any knowledge appreciated!!?

I reckon the noise is the airflow being sucked rapidly in to the airbox via the drilled holes. I did mine and like the noise, but i didn't majorly drill the airbox, just drilled a few holes, went for a blat, then put afew more in til i was happy with the effect. Maybe get a scrappy airbox and either leave it undrilled, or put holes in it, but not as many as you have now?!

Drilled about 15ish holes at 12mm dia. in side and front corner of box so didn't go OTT :!: At low revs I agree the noise is good, but when accellerating to overtake typically on motor way - say 75 - 90, the noise gets proportionally louder in relation to your foot on the gas..... BUT..... the acceleration no way justifies the additional noise, which disappears if you ease off the gas a little :roll:

Think it's time for a turbo :D

What causes the noise?

The noise that you are getting will be from the engine itself, hence the reason why air filters are occasionally refered to as "muffler filters". Engine noise is supressed by the air filtration system & exhaust system. If either of these are partially removed then noise levels will increase.

Example : My G60 has a cone induction kit with no housing at all except for a nice shiny heatshield 8) . Below around 3k the engine has a nice throaty sound, above 3k and the car sounds like a WW2 Spitfire getting ready for takeoff :D

PhatVR6 - Well, when i struggle past cars at 80 and my mota is making an absolute racket It's almost humiliating :!:

Stevemac - Its Kr, with 50mm induction manifold.

I think the best way to deal with is to absorb the noise, or at least take the 'edges' of it with some absorbing material lining the box, or on the surfaces around it which probably amplify and reflect it :!:

Am looking to get loads of work done 9A bottom end, cams etc so the (my) problem is only gonna get worse/ louder :D

aide if your KR Corrado is struggling at 80, there's something very wrong with it... :|

My old KR 'rado used to get upto 120 no problems, and accelerated nicely (you did have to drop to 4th though!) from 50 all the way up to 115ish... 8)

If it's making a lot of noise, and there's no go to it, I'd advise you get it looked at PQD... :?

aide if your KR Corrado is struggling at 80, there's something very wrong with it... :|

Sorry! I should have said when going up hill in 5th...

My missus in her vr :oops: could hear me coming up the hill about 50 yards behind her the other day :D

It's the crappy torque when she'd not spinning.