quicky1980

Strange Vibration while driving

Recently had an MOT and was told that the rear handbrake mechanism needed sorting

So sorted the rears with new disks, bearings and pads.

On the test drive I have a strange vibration that occurs over 60mph, the vibration comes through the steering wheel and seems to oscillate ie it vibrates then smooths out, then vibrates and smooths out and repeats, only disappears or gets less noticeable when going at slower road speeds..

It's prob' coincidence that it occurred with the rear brake rework but any idea whats causing this?

If it was a constant vibration Id say the wheels have fallen out of balance, but the oscillation has baffled me. any ideas or experience with this? ta

Does sound like wheel balance, usually evident around 60, have you lost any obvious wheel weights?

Could be cv or bearing related I guess

maybe a weight was knocked off during the MOT, will check. but wouldnt you expect a constant vibration if this were the case?

Spiggot rings...were an issue for me. Two had come off somehow, probably got left on the hub and then discarded. New set sorted it. Although 11 weights on the wheels didn't help. Got it done properly and down to one! lol

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

maybe a weight was knocked off during the MOT, will check. but wouldnt you expect a constant vibration if this were the case?

Also, the missing spiggots didn't cause a constant vibration, similar to how you described. For me tho it was worst at 65-75, smoothing out above and below that. Not that I do over 75 on the public road of course