Sign in to follow this  
olly elworthy

squeaking squealing noise

got a squeaking / squeeling noise coming from either my cam belt tensioner pulley or the idler pullies on the serpentine belt on my corrado G60, thinking of having done with it and replacing all of them, is it possible to get the idler pullies from aftermarket sources or are they a strictly VAG part? also if i replace the cam belt, unlike on a conventional 8v motor do i have to undo the centre bolt on the crank to get the pulley off aswell as the four small 6mm hex bolts? :?

Don't mess with the 12 sided bolt! It's a stretch bolt and you really don't want to do anything to it!

To get the pulleys off the crank, you just need to undo the 4 hex head bolts exactly the same as on a conventional 8v engine... 8)

heard horror stories about that bolt,

Yeah, probably from me or Bananaman... :roll: :cry:

on't mess with the 12 sided bolt! It's a stretch bolt and you really don't want to do anything to it!

Its still worth taking it out and replacing it with the stronger one isn't it tho....

ive got a new one from vag but its for a 1.8 ltr dx engine, (mk1 gti) was thinking of using this, :?:

Thats the one - I've got one in my glovebox at the moment, hopefully I'll get around to fitting it before my old one snaps. :lol:

I think you'll need to fit the big washer with it too

Its still worth taking it out and replacing it with the stronger one isn't it tho....

Yup, if you've got the tools to undo it and then tighten the new one up properly afterwards... Don't forget to put a little studlock onto the thread of the new bolt to make sure it never comes loose... :wink: