Portent

Brother just threw me a motoring curve ball

Thanks all so far. My brother did actually make an offer on a newer M3 but it seems he hasn't come to an agreement with the dealer. I know he will hold out for the right car in the right colour at the right price. So I don't think I need to make a decision quite yet. I can see the pro's and con's of each side and I know that there would be nothing wrong with my brothers car. Unlike me he knows what he's doing with a spanner and cars have been his love for about 20 years so he would know if there was something wrong with one of his cars (I need to check when the next major service is due though).

But I went out in the Corrado again today and still absolutely love it. It doesn't compare to the M3 in any way but my heart is definitely saying keep the Corrado. If someone had said that to me before I'd owned one I'd have said they were nuts. And on the way to bed my daughter had a quick look at it and asked "Dad, why does the Corrado look so good?" which made my day :dance:

Edited by Portent

Not sure what the rear bush issues are that were mentioned above. The Rear Trailing arm bushes on my E36 needed doing, My mate and I did them in a day (without the tool) and my E39's rear subframe bushes also took a day (with the tool)... so not to difficult!

The E36 (3.2) suffered from VANOS (variable valve timing unit) problems though mine didn't, did seem to make much difference as to service history or driving style... I'm not sure if they modified this on the e46, but if not, budget for the possibility of a £2K bill! There were also a larger than expected number of engine replacements on the earlier e46 M3s. (I used to hang out on an M3 forum around the time the e46 came out) I don't recall what the issue was but there was a recall about 1-1/2 to 2 years in and then the new cars didn't suffer.

mjcp

They tend to just burn through rear bushes at an accelerated rate from what I can gather, although this can be pretty much solved with a decent poly set. Guessing it's just the industrial strength rear axle and stiff setup putting lots of load in them, the same reason that the subframes can go. Recalls were for big end bearing shells and only affected early cars (Pre 03). The VANOS on the E46 is controlled by solenoid packs and it's a good idea to make sure these are replaced at some point in the car's lifetime.

"Dad, why does the Corrado look so good?"

LOL! Another reason to hold on to the 'Rado :cheers:

LOL! Another reason to hold on to the 'Rado :cheers:

Not had to make the decision yet. But I'm pretty sure it will stay. It's got under my skin in a way I can't really explain :)

Never by a car off family or friends, unless you've discussed points which aren't perfect. it's really awkward if it goes wrong for both parties involved and you'll feel obliged to keep it rather than sell even if it starts to cost too much to own! They DRINK fuel too!!

Jim

Non M Power BMWs burn through bushes, tyres and fuel as well :lol: It comes with the territory but they are like no other car to drive.

Inspection 2 is expensive on the 6 cyl Ms because of the manual tappet adjustment (no hydraulic lifters) and individual throttle bodies to be checked / adjusted for balance. If the chains need doing, or the VANOS units, or the exhaust manifolds, Ignition modules etc need replacing....well... the car could end up being sorn'd for a while!

Unfortunately some folk think an M BMW is just a normal one with a better engine and get a big shock by some of the garage bills. The whole car is modified and beefed up to cope with racing stresses and that level of engineering doesn't come cheap. Apparently the E46 CSL shares only the doors or something with a normal 3 series!

Would love one but it would cripple me financially, despite having the ability to fix it myself.

Most critical stamp in an M3's service book is the oil change at 1500 miles.

Driven a few E46 M3's - immensely capable car but ultimately dull - at safe speeds on the public road they not stretched so ultimately quite boring to drive - anyone can drive an M3 quickly on the road - wheres the challenge in that

had a good friend who bought a new E46 M3 - sold after six months and bought a Civic Type R, said it was more fun as you had to actually drive it rather than just point it

Most critical stamp in an M3's service book is the oil change at 1500 miles.

Driven a few E46 M3's - immensely capable car but ultimately dull - at safe speeds on the public road they not stretched so ultimately quite boring to drive - anyone can drive an M3 quickly on the road - wheres the challenge in that

had a good friend who bought a new E46 M3 - sold after six months and bought a Civic Type R, said it was more fun as you had to actually drive it rather than just point it

Yeah the 1500 mile service is to drain out the highly abrasive oil the car is filled with at the factory. Ensures a faster running in time but can cause major damage if it's left in longer than the recommended mileage.

Driving an M3 every day would undoubtedly make it feel far less special, they're too good at feeling like ordinary 3 Series Coupés when they're not on the limit. However, as a weekend B road blaster and occasional track day car...... :notworthy:

Well my opinion would be look at your Corrado compared to others, rate it's quality out of 10, rate it high then and don't get rid of it. Tidy Corrados are very hard to come by these days and the chance is you wouldn't own one again!

Not really being a BMW fan, it's bit of a no brainer for me.

End of the day, choice is yours but don't rush into anything.