Crispy Squirrel

Hello dam I love this car ! 1.8 help ?

Just wanted to say hi all. Looking at buying a 1.8 in the next 2-4 months just wondering what engine differences there are, I've looked online and know of the VR6 and the 16v but really have no clue of the difference ? Is there a buyers guide that offers help on specs ? or can someone link me to a thread ? Sorry if being a newbie

Carl

Which 1.8 are you looking at? The 1.8 G60 or the 1.8 16v? :)

Well dependent on insurance and prices etc. I'm hoping to spend about £2,000+ on one. looking at about £1,000 insurance.

What would you recommend Jim the g60 ? Just used quicky's guide from the wiki to see that the g60 is 160bhp and the 16v is the 136 bhp so hopefully the g60 :)

Awww, with the title, I wanted to see pictures of dams!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcnysyqDAoVWkCMP9b_k2A3l48AyKeLiGno3LK1jTfE_IeESq4AaTl8vXn4A

(You missed an 'n' off.. lol)

Well dependent on insurance and prices etc. I'm hoping to spend about £2,000+ on one. looking at about £1,000 insurance.

What would you recommend Jim the g60 ? Just used quicky's guide from the wiki to see that the g60 is 160bhp and the 16v is the 136 bhp so hopefully the g60 :)

Yes G60 is the best... you go with that, 16v's are rubbish... (and if anyone trys to sell you a vr6 don't listen to them)

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

on a serious note though... have you taken a look at the Classifieds section of the forum?

2k will buy you quite a Corrado at the moment... and 3k will get you something amazing! but even at 2k i bet you could find a g60 that had been ported to stage 4 (super charger modification) so i think a car thats pulling 180bhp is well within your budget.

Yea, you can always count on alex for an unbiased view of corrado's. Yea 180bhp is well within your budget... especially if you go for a VR6 that come standard with 190bhp... and if my calculations are right thats 30bhp more than a standard g60, thats correct isn't it alex :D

To end with, on a serious note, go drive them and see what you think. I absolutely loved my 1.8 16v and given the choice i'd have one again, probably a 2.0 16v but i could never get rid of the VR6 now i've got one.

Yea, you can always count on alex for an unbiased view of corrado's. Yea 180bhp is well within your budget... especially if you go for a VR6 that come standard with 190bhp... and if my calculations are right thats 30bhp more than a standard g60, thats correct isn't it alex

they need the extra humph to help them correct for their inferior handling and fat ass as i recall...:thumbleft:

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

their ass is the same as yours, lol. inferior handling you say? i challenge you to a dual... on forza, i'll go in the corrado vr6 and you can go in the... oh no wait :p

lol, i was literally waiting for you to say that alex... but you can't keep bringing your daft game up everytime you run out of retorts lol. Unfortunately this time vr6 - 1, g60 - 0, which is also the amount of them on forza, game developers must have gone for the better car haha

How about we don't spam a newbies thread with irrelvent and biased opinions!

The 16V's are great fun still, and arguably the most reliable and affordable to fix / run. The G60 gives a little more grunt. The VR6 is more refined and even gruntier but is a touch nose heavy.

So it really depends what you want from your Corrado. Not as much grunt and sharper handling, or the superb VR6 soundtrack and still impressive performance at the trade off of it being a bit more boaty in the corners.

I'd say just buy the best can you can for £2,000 regardless of the model.

How about we don't spam a newbies thread with irrelvent and biased opinions!

The 16V's are great fun still, and arguably the most reliable and affordable to fix / run. The G60 gives a little more grunt. The VR6 is more refined and even gruntier but is a touch nose heavy.

So it really depends what you want from your Corrado. Not as much grunt and sharper handling, or the superb VR6 soundtrack and still impressive performance at the trade off of it being a bit more boaty in the corners.

I'd say just buy the best can you can for £2,000 regardless of the model.

See swift no one wonts your nonsense here! :lol:

Yeah the VR is the one to go for. The G60 is a nice engine (ex owner) but the VR is where its all at.

You did ask what the difference between the VR and the 1.8 and i dont think its been said.

You have the 1.8 16v as Jim said , reliable, not sure what its like to drive as ive never had one. Then there's the 1.8 G60. Again 1.8 engine with a G60 supercharger on it. Nice car to drive, cheap to mod to get the power up. But harder to find. The supercharger needs servicing at intervals.

Then there's the 2.0 16v again not driven one so cant telp you much with it. I believe the 2.0 litre 16v has more torque but hopefully someone will elaborate on the 1.8 and 2.0.

There's the 2.0 8v, which was my first Corrado. Loved it to bits, lacked power but made up for it in MPG. It is the slowest of the lot and with only 214 made originally maybe hard to find.

All the above are all 4 pot engines.

Then finally there's the VR6, which is VWs own 2.9 V 6 engine. Guzzles fuel abit but its goes like stink and sounds gorgeous. Though its more expensive to get more power out of. By the way the fuel consumption of the VR isnt much higher then the 1.8 and 2.0 16vs so ive read.

The choice is yours!!!

I'm now on my second 2.0 16v, picked the 2nd up this evening.

The 1.8 16v is a good car, but getting a little dated and hard to find a good one with reasonable mileage.

Like I say, this one is now my 2nd 2.0, and I'd say they're better than the 1.8.

The missus had a Vr, and having driven all the C's (although not the G60), she would choose the 2.0 16v. Like me, she prefers the sharp performance and quick handling through bends and on twisty roads.

For straight line grunt, you'd want the Vr.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

G60 or VR for noise and power

valvers are good dailys

others are bit easier to live with as the G60 and VR are bit more expensive to run.

As said if you want straight line power,go VR

if you want handling buy a 4 pot.G60 is best of the 4 pots

Ok ..... So HOLY THANKS for all that advice I think Jim and Critical mass actually gave the best read from the lot and what the feck was that fishing game link I clicked ? Far too newbie to even know where to begin. So Please correct me if i'm wrong but

1.8 16v - Cheapest - Oldest - easiest to fix therefore cheaper parts ? SOUNDS THE BEST FOR ME ! OR MAYBE THE

1.8 g60 - Supercharged so more fule usage ?/ faster / Yet harder to find.

Should I pay more or less for the g60 ? is this model more often new-er than the 16v ? THESE 2 seem the best for me.

2.0 16v -

2.0 8v

Before joining this forum I was under the impression the 2.0 litres are slower than both 1.8's due to weight? Yet i'd pay more insurance for bigger engine and use more fuel. But didn't someone mention better handling ? Tighter turns ? Or is that just because its slower ? Sorry for all the questions

2.9 VR6 - There's no way a 2k budget will get me a decent 2.9 surely ? Nor will insurance be in my budget for a 22year old under a thousand ££ ???

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

G60 or VR for noise and power

valvers are good dailys

I need daily , Cheaper insurance , cheaper to fix + petrol etc. So the 1.8 16v ? or the 2.0 ?

Having owned both 1.8 & 2.0 16v, I'd say go 2.0. Nothing in the performance really. If insurance is a big issue, go 1.8.

If you do go 1.8 16v, I may be breaking one soon if you need any parts. I also have a black interior too!! lol

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Id agree with grim. Plus i liked the KR engine (1.8 16v) as it came straight from golf mk2 gti, they are rev happy engines and excellent fun. just keep on top of maintance and their bulletproof.and can take quite a bit of abuse

ive owned gti mk2 16v so i know their great engines but never driven a corrado with one.cant be that much difference except bit more weight.

Well like i said with fuel the VR isnt much (if at all) worse then either of the valvers on fuel. But they are easier to maintain. These days you prob will spend more to buy a G60 over a VR as their rarer.

I think the handling comment was more aimed at the valvers and VR. With the VR being heavier up front the valvers are supposed to be more nimble through the corners. Dont know if you'd truely notice. i mean i had my G60 just before my VR and i cant say i remember ever thinking the VR was heavier and lazier through the corners.

Also the VR is group 18 insurance and the valvers are group 16 - i THINK!

Goign on you 2k budget id say a valver would be you best bet.