dietztho000

New hood latch ideas?

My hood latch didnt work and withvout thinking too much I just cut the hood latch wire in the engine bay... Now i have noway of opening the hood in an easy fashion...

I was wondering anyone else ran into this problem and came up with a clever new hood latch system?

I was thinking hood pins but they are illegal for street vehicals.

Anyone got any ideas?

fairly common problem, normally the clip on the release handle breaks. some replace the clip with a heavy duty part and others ive heard have some wire from each of the release catches hang loose so that they can be reached from under the car.

I've considered fitting 2 solenoids to the catches but reckon this would be less reliable. Check out the forum wiki on how to open the bonnet if the cable breaks.

See my problem is, i cut and removed the actual metal wire that ran through the engine bay to release the hood. So I dont think I can actually fix the clip part now. I need a whole new way of it unless I can replace the whole assembly somehow?

I cut it out of stupidity :/

But see my problem isnt I cant get it open right now, i have the hood open, i just need a replacemnet latch idea of somesort so i can easily open it after i shut it

Thank you for the link!

If you get some thin wire,you can tie it to the latch (one on each side) of the bonnet catches,run the wire to just behind your grill.by pulling directly onto the wires the bonnet will open !

This is what i did to mine,while i was waiting for the new cable to arrive.

I used my old grill,with broken tabs,id pull the grill out making it easier to pull the wires !

hope this helps

I do have a spare bike laying around, i dont know if it will be long enough...

what other wire could i use to make a new one do ya think?

thanks for the info guys!

Im confused by this thread. If you bought a new cable and got it fitted, wouldnt that be the problem solved?

Yep. That's what I did when my handle clip broke. I just replaced the whole darn lot and it was only about 20 quid.

Although it's probably obsolete now, knowing VW.