RowanVW

Flat clutch pedal!

Changed the master and slave cylinder and bled the system, still not fixed, what else could it be? I'm just going to bleed the system again just in case.

Could quite possibly be the clutch operating arm inside the bell housing which has a habit of developing hairline cracks and bending. A typical symptom would be a very low bite point on the clutch.

That would be unfortunate, I used easy bleed system because I was on my own, did the master then the slave, then pumped pedal, then master and slave again!

Exact same thing happened to me. I changed the slave , bled the clutch and pedal was flat on the floor (as far as I remember anyway) result was the clutch release fork was broken. I'll have a look later to see if I can find the thread I started at the time so I can see the exact symptoms. I ended up getting a new clutch, fork, thrust bearing? And that's to go with the slave I mistakenly replaced. The fork is a fairly common fault iirc

I got a new master, new clutch, that's 150 quid which couldn't really spare, gonna be gutted to spend more out, luckily I picked up a new clutch a while back as I saw one cheap...

The pedal does return back, but every now and then it gos flat, also it feels worse near the bottom of the pedals travel... Only driven the car 300 miles

Ok so the bite point is ridiculously low on the car, also when I press the clutch fluid appears under the slave cylinder even though everything is well done up and the slave is brand new! Also I've bled the system extremely thoroughly.

I'm considering putting the car back in the garage as I need a reliable car for work, I expected problems with the car but considering how much I've spent fixing it I'm seriously gutted to not even be able to drive it!

Any thoughts? literally have no money at the moment either as I don't start my job till September

Thanks for that, I hate having gearboxes off, never done one on my own! I have a clutch so just need to source a release fork and bearing I guess... So gutted apparently the engine and gearbox I had bought had only done 100k so is this normal?

Interesting, hopefully the standard one will be alright for me! Pretty annoyed that I've replaced the master cylinder at a cost of 110 quids lol. Also gonna be fun changing it on my driveway on my own, better take a strong pill the night before :p

So the clutch fork from VW is 11.84,

The bearing is 7.80 plus VAT from GSF

And my clutch was £15 as an eBay gem! Brand new.

Also going to change the inner driveshaft gaiter while I'm at it and I know that one of the bolts is rounded so I don't look forward to that!

I'm in Pulborough, if anyone's willing to lend a hand that would be amazing! RH20 area

A long shot but one thing to check is that the hole that the pin on the clutch pedal arm fits into on the clutch connecting arm isn't worn so that it is oblong shaped, i have a vr with this and the pin moves in the hole before it actually operates the clutch operating arm, i basically have play in the linkage. sometimes the clucth pedal doesnt always pop all the way back up. Try removing the circlip and popping out the pin and have a look/feel.

Edd