robo22sri

oil tempretures

I've only owned my VR for around 8 weeks, I'm on holiday in southern France with it at the moment. The daily temperatures are around 29c and the oil temp is sitting at 110c. It climbs to around 114-116 in traffic jams (of which there are many here in Nice).

Mines never been past 120c and that was yesterday on a long steep climb on the autoroute. So not sure if 125c is ok? Perhaps others can shed some light?

I think mine has been fitted with a lower temp thermostat and fan switch. My standard water temp is 90' with the oil at 100' which only rises to 106' when I rag it. I've never seen my water temp above 100' and oil has never even reached 110' but to be honest this might not be a good thing because the oil might be reaching maximum operating temperature.

I think mine has been fitted with a lower temp thermostat and fan switch. My standard water temp is 90' with the oil at 100' which only rises to 106' when I rag it. I've never seen my water temp above 100' and oil has never even reached 110' but to be honest this might not be a good thing because the oil might be reaching maximum operating temperature.

Where did you get your lower temp stat and water temp stat bud?

Don't use a low temp stat they are only good when its a hot day in the winter mine was always below the 70 OC mark meaning it was always running in the start up map, MPG was rubbish in the winter because of it. Do an oil and filter change and see if that helps

Bit high at that level, should not really see much more than 110 deg C or so on a VR.

If the rad temps are matching the oil temps (as they should) then it is likely you will need a replacement radiator - consider that most VRs are on their original rads that will be over 15 years old by now and full of crud, bent fins and dead insects so they won't work too well.

A replacement rad in my VR now gives a rock steady set of both coolant and oil temps, you can't expect the car to stay cool in traffic when the cooling system is well past its best.

That makes sense, the other night I put the heater on hot and put the windows down and the engine temp just dropped 10c straight away, I was doing about 80 mph steady down the motorway and the heat just went

i have replaced the rad in mine, and have a mocal and it runs at around 92 -94 on the motorway and drops down to about 90 when stop-starting. Goes up to around 102 immediately after a motorway followed by town driving in traffic. Water varies from 75ish on the motorway to around 90 in traffic jams. Thats is with an outside temp of 29 (MFA) and with the aircon on. I also have a metal crack pipe instead of the plastic which will also help a little in temp reduction.

Right need a little bit of help with the 2nd fan on the rad! when is it ment to run?

i went for a drive at the weekend and the temp wen very high! the car was at 120c on the temp and the oil was up at 110c

the previous owner changed the rad for a GSF one in 2006 and has done the crack pipe also, i think its down to the 2nd fan not running if the belt is missing :(

Yep, sounds like the belt is missing... both fans come on and go off together. One is driven directly by the motor, the other by the belt.

Yep, sounds like the belt is missing... both fans come on and go off together. One is driven directly by the motor, the other by the belt.

i thought so!!! is it a hard job to strip the cowling off?

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

does anyone know the part number of the belt? i cant find it on the VAGCAT http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/COR/1992/76/49/841312/

is it a hard job to strip the cowling off?

Why do that. Loop a thin string loop around it, so as not to loose it. Pass it thro the slave fan so as its all in front of the fan and up against the radiator. Then pass a belt loop to the drive fan. And hitch the whole loop on. Remove string. Bit fiddley but can be done.

ETA:

Where did the old belt go? Its not in the bottom of the radiator cowl is it?? They can "just" drop off sometimes...

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Where did you get your lower temp stat and water temp stat bud?

Talk to Dubpower for their VW marked thermostat. 70'C instead of the standard 80'C one.

http://dubpower.co.uk/VR6%20parts.HTM

Edited by RW1

thank you bud, where did you get the image from? VAGCAT was a bit poor!

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Why do that. Loop a thin string loop around it, so as not to loose it. Pass it thro the slave fan so as its all in front of the fan and up against the radiator. Then pass a belt loop to the drive fan. And hitch the whole loop on. Remove string. Bit fiddley but can be done.

ETA:

Where did the old belt go? Its not in the bottom of the radiator cowl is it?? They can "just" drop off sometimes...

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Talk to Dubpower for their VW marked thermostat. 70'C instead of the standard 80'C one.

http://dubpower.co.uk/VR6%20parts.HTM

funny you say that! i have just been out with a torch and it is still there! but its now stuck near the motor!

morning guys

i managed to get a 2PJ 860 belt from my local motor factors for £6.80 and it is a gates belt :D the temps have come down but the oil is still sitting around 110c and wet up to 118c when thrashing it!

time to change the oil cooler?

Still sounds a bit too high. Maybe worth giving the coolant a good flush through with a hose pipe, then add some nice new G12++ coolant from VW.

If that doesn't work, it may be worth investing in a new oil cooler, or a Mocal oil cooler which will have quite an effect. New rad would be worth doing too.

Don't go down the low temp stat route- as said earlier, it will constantly be on the warm up cycle giving crap MPG and could cause more long term damage as the extra petrol can wash the oil away etc causing premature engine wear.