Ninja!

Sill rust...

I'm looking at buying a rado, but though the first one I've seen looked mint - upon further inspection the drivers sill was literally falling apart in chunks. Is this a common problem? What else do I look out for?

And finally, does any one want to sell me their rado? I can't find any for the price I can afford or who wants to swap or p/x mind :(

lol

Cheers in advance!

The only reason they would rust on the main sill would be a previous dodgy repair, split underseal or a scuff that hasn't been attended to.

I believe an area which is now coming to light is the lip section just in front of the rear wheel (what I like to call the "stonecatcher"!) but even so that repair is fairly simple if treated early.

After 16 years I think it's about time my underseal on the sills was redone in case theres anything lurking :)

I bought a raddo with the driver side sill rotten... here are the pics:

227605_10150184417323425_503013424_6777455_5655899_n.jpg

227167_10150184418833425_503013424_6777464_7327387_n.jpg

I have patched it up and will get the sill done at some point soon.

People always say, oh no stay away... However if the car is £500 cheaper than another one and only the sills need doing, and the sills cost £300 to do, its £200 cheaper :) So depends really...

Mine was £500, lots of problems, but when its mint, it wont of cost 3k and will be worth about that (I hope)

This is all true, you do only get what you pay for. But there is a balancing act betwee cheap and needs a little work and between a car that will need loads of money throwing at it, money which could have gone towards the original budget.

just taking mine apart and finding the rust, can put my hand in the sill now, i guess the underseal had split

i reckon it would be pretty impossible to find a corrado now that doesn't have hidden rust, unless its mega low miles and hardly been used

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

mine:

2011-08-12144952.jpg

was no sign of rust on the outside,

and underneath it starts to run along the sill join

2011-08-12144932.jpg.

all easy to fix though and no need to be scared of a little rust

Mine has had the sills patched a couple of MOTs ago... it has been damaged through being jacked up incorrectly over the course of its life...

If you are not put off by the rust, you at least want to try to undertand why its there. If its there because of damage due to jacking/underseal/scuffing then you can have a bit more confidence that it may be localised; on the otherhand, if there are any hints of accident damage, you want to stay well clear in my opinion...

likely rust spots off the top of my head;

- petrol filler, even a tiny spot on the outside spells difficult repair internally.

- arches, any of them, all the way round, but rears often the worst.

- sill immediately behind the front wheel, water run off discharges internally here.

- factory mounting plates on underside both front and rear.

- rear quarter panel seams.

- number plate light cover - easy fix though.

- boot catch.

- rear badge holes.

- windscreen pillars if its ever been replaced.

- sill drip if its ever had a tyre changed using the emergency jack!

Ive just bought a new sill from TPS cost me £35 plus vat, but dunno if Im gonna be able to use it as my rust is nearer the rear quarter than where the repair panel goes.

think i saw a photo of a sill the other day and iirc its just the middle bit?

not sure how to repair mine, will just try and shape some metal, i cut the rust out today

2011-08-15145639.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48634[/ATTACH]

its all of the part including where the corrado kick plate is, my rusty bit is were yours is and a the little bit between the start of the arch and the door opening

thought it might be worth adding to this thread that the outer sill parts are obsolete & VW have zero stock in the UK :(

fabrication it is then i guess

Tried vw heritage mate?

thanks jon_vr6 they were my 1st port of call - unfortunately they only list a 'fuel filler retention spring' in their section for panels - sills & floors

i thought id ask on here & then maybe PM anna to see if they are working on sourcing any but i also feel that will possibly be extremely expensive

Classic parts germany definitly stock them look in their shop section they are listed there

got it thanks m8