Sign in to follow this  
andycowuk

Baffled Sump

I was wondering about how much difference, or how much benifit is to be had from the windage tray.... it will stop the crank shaft from slapping the oil on corners etc, but it this really only going to be an issue on the track with sticky stuff or could we all benifit from it?

http://www.bahnbrenner.com/acatalog/G60_Oil_Pan.html

I am trying to find supliers just now, that are not bbm cos they suck on postage....

is anyone else interested in one? maybe a small group buy?

I would be interested too!

for a G60 block

Group buy i think is coming up!

The benefit is more to do with preventing oil starvation on the crank journals and bores.

It only takes 3 seconds of dry running a 16V journal to wear it down significantly.

Which makes me wonder why the VR6 hasn't got a baffle....strange.

The benefit is more to do with preventing oil starvation on the crank journals and bores.

It only takes 3 seconds of dry running a 16V journal to wear it down significantly.

Which makes me wonder why the VR6 hasn't got a baffle....strange.

Isnt that the benefit as a result of the baffles, 'holding' the oil at the oilpump pickup; what function does the windage tray perform?

i would be interested too, depending on price

i am guessing really but does one stop oil starvation and the other prevent the oil getting sloshed around (technical speak :) ) and producing bubbles?

Plenty of information about windage trays on the web. Looks like they sit under the crank to collect oil and pass it back to the sump through louvres..... so sounds like it's for the reason in your first post.

Plenty of information about windage trays on the web. Looks like they sit under the crank to collect oil and pass it back to the sump through louvres..... so sounds like it's for the reason in your first post.

It's a mk3 golf Diesel part 037 115 220B

Have one fitted to my TSR 16v engine conversion

David