LittleBird

Subframe Query

Hi Guys!!!

My car is poorly at the moment and has a badly cracked subframe :( Unfortunately it is beyond welding repair - bummer!!!

Does anybody know where I can get one from as they don't appear to be easy to find and the part number is different to that to a Mk2 Golf so don't want to purchase anything that is no good for my car!! Does anybody have any advice on the best way forward, pretty stuck without a car now, just when I have bought some shiny new wheels for her :( Would I get away with a Mk2 Golf subframe or are they too different?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in Advance

Lil Bird x

say where you live , that might help

theyre readily available in scrap yards in the uk , some will post to you

a golf mk2 one is very similar to the 4 cly rados , rados have extra tabs at the rear behind the arb brackets that you could possibly swap over if you really had to , and the rado also has a weight attached but doesnt seem to do anything

Cool, sorry for lack of info :(

I love in Herefordshire and I have a G60. Will have a root around at the weekend at the local scrappys, so do you reckon a Golf Mk2 may do the job? I've seen some on eBay, I could give one a go?

Thanks for you response, muchly appreciated :)

as steve said, the mk2 is very close and will fit IIRC. I think the extra tabs are for stability and the weight is a resonance damper to stop the frame vibrating.

G60 subframes are the same as 16v and 8v. Only the VR6 has a different frame, and even then the difference is only in the engine mounts. Laser Mark on this forum has a subframe that he's just blasted and powdercoated which I believe he no longer needs (its the frame from my 8v) so it might be worth getting in touch with him about it.

Wicked, thanks guys....................I'll get there in the end!! Got a quote from VW for a new one and depending on where it's cracked it could be up to £400 (don't trust dealerships tho ;))

Thanks Purple Tom - will get in touch with him now, fingers x'd

Steveo - Will try them too, thanks for that

Will let you know how I get on, thanks again!!

Lil Bird :)

tbh, I don't think it's worth buying new from a dealer as there are a fair few about (if you check ebay / breakers / other forums) but obviously your choice :D

it was ages ago now.... but i saw a corrado at J & R recovery (down past Cavanagh's bodyshop if you don't know) - if that's still there it's defo worth a look. you can get J & R on 01432 359908

alternatively there's always Ikey Morris up at City Spares (up Watery Lane off the straight mile, rotherwas). they're on 01432 268939.

raven motors closed down a while ago now unfortunately. there's another massive scrappy near cheltenham which are your best bet in the hereford area if Ikey or J & R don't have anything. can't remember directions now as it's ages since i've been ther, but the number for the cheltenham scrappy is 01452 713259.

those are defo your best bet locally. if not then it'll be an ebay job.

best of luck!

The mk3 one is closer to the Corrado than the mk2 tbh. As said the mk2 is missing the extra legs on the back, but it also doesn't have the locating C-pieces for the control arm rear bush, so the geometry will be all screwed up when you put it back together. The mk2 has a little sleeve that goes inside the bush to locate the arm, and you don't want to be messing with those cos they are a pita.

Also, most mk2 frames will be just as rusty or worse by now!

If you use the mk3 one then you need to shorten the legs at the back and drill two new holes, but thats easy enough. You also need the rear engine mount and bracket from a 4-cylinder 1.8, 2.0 or TDI which will replace the Corrado one.

You can also use a Corrado VR6 subframe with the mk3 Golf rear mount and bracket if thats an easier combo to find.

Cheers Guys, that's all really helpful :) I think I may have located one from a fellow User on the forum, fingers x'd - I should know more on Tuesday but it's looking likely and it's a G60 one - yay!!! Will keep you posted!

Boost Monkey - I totally agree, they're complete rip off merchants half the time - I'd rather give the cash to a fellow C lover :)

Pete - Yeah I know where those guys are, I will go and check out J&R this weekend - always good to have a backup plan and possible spare what with all the potholes and dodgy roads round here - which is pretty much how it happened in the first place. Is Ikey back open now after the inferno??? Will go and have a look but that dude creeps me out big time ha ha!!! Cheltenham is a good call too what with the cruises up there hee hee ;) I'm thinking plenty of seized vehicles?!

Mikkijayne - I've heard that from someone else.......could be worth investigation if I get no joy with finding the specific one. Really helpful info, thanks :)

I will keep you all posted and will get on here with some pics and the problems and work I have done so far.......................once shes all fixed then I'm taking her to a speed hill climb - should be very interesting lol!!

Cheers

Lil Bird :)