t700bes

Game over for the Raddo :(

Game over :(

After months of learning about engines and doing an ABF conversion on my raddo (after the engine lost its oil) it decided to snap a cambelt on me last night... With the wedding coming up, I just can't keep spending money on her, so its time I threw the towel in.. I'm gonna try to sell her as a whole, but failing that I'll break her... After the wedding, I'm thinking of getting an A3/S3. We have an A3 already, and its a lovely car!!

Sad times :(

R.I.P

I remember this feeling from when my last one blew the charger... It was the last straw!

You can't let your heart rule your head all the time, so being pragmatic and cutting your losses is sometimes the right thing to do.

I haven't yet, no.. The belt was old, I'm not sure when it was changed... I don't know how to check for damage and to be honest, I can't keep spending money on this car :(

I also tried to start it again once it had died, so surely that in itself will bend thing... I could try to take the head off, and then I would need to change the headgasket new water pump, pulley and belt (which I've never done before)..

I think its just time to call it a day (sad as it sounds)

happens to us all and i feel for you mate. I had a freshly built 2L ABF 16V in my old MK2 snap the cambelt after only 500 odd miles ON THE WAY TO GTi international! Engine was all built up by a VERY reputable firm (not mentioning anyone's names...) using genuine parts ... but at the end of the day what can you do?

Got the car towed to my uncles garage, whipped the head off (4 bent valves). Had a spare 16V head sent up the next morning, swapped the valves over and changed a few sundries. Total time it took was about 6 hours and I drove the car home 150 miles - didnt miss a beat since for over two years after that point - until some complete jizzmonkey rear ended it and wrote the car off (sadest day of my life!)

But as i said i know the pain - we have all been there and it seems like you never get a break sometimes hey?

Good luck whatever you decide mate

Whip the head off and asses the damage, more than likely the bottom end will be fine and you'll have bent some valves. This will cost you nowt, and you'll lean a little more about engines.. You can't damage something which is already broken.

I reckon you will have bent some valves.

A replacement complete head is £50, headgasket and other various gaskets £50, oil, coolant, cambelt, pulley etc, £50.. No need to do the water pump really if it was working fine before.

£150-£200ish to get it back on the road. We'll all help you along the way!

Yeah and then the timing, and the time to do all this, I've already spent hours and hours putting the engine in. I may change my mind, but at the moment I'm convinced in trying to sell it on for parts!

Park the car and give yourself a few days to think it over before making any rash decisions! Easy to get "caught in the moment" when it does something to screw you over like this!

Hiya mate, hope you keep this as one of the only other people running ABF in a Corrado that I could find!

I changed everything on mine so I can talk you through everything except the torque figures when rebuilding the engine, which we can easily find!

If you want to cut your losses though its understandable, i've had mine a month and had to change the battery, indicator relay, clutch master, clutch slave, clutch and clutch fork and all the bulbs in the instrument cluster lol

Heartbreaking, I wouldn't have kept it if I didn't love the cars and have the free time to fix it!

^ Yep - see it as an oppotunity to fit a man in the shed Head...

Headset + Bolts + cambelt Kit should only be around £100 or so