24V Renshaw

Renshaw project (probably going to sell / swap)

And so it begins. Glad you decided to keep the car Jay.

Nothing like a tidy, clean, well appointed garage to work in.

Note to self: Tidy the garage...

It's all your fault I am doing this you know!

Might take a day off later in the week just to get everything sorted and ready by the weekend.

oh no.... your hooked

More new bits....

Got myself some basically brand new MK4 front calipers, which combined with some brand new 312mm carriers, discs and pads I have will mean I have a complete new front brake setup to fit.

The calipers are stripped and blasted and come will all new genuine parts, so should be perfect...

Need to find some VR6 front hub carriers now to strip and rebuild to go with the brakes :)

Jay

For the picture whores...

d402e125.jpg

Garage is progressing. Walls all insulated, boarded and now painted white to help with light in there.

Insulation of the ceiling behind the panels should help nicely and prevent condensation.

c0f67b02.jpg

83ac7178.jpg

Just got to finish the ceiling panels and insulation tomorrow and tidy up, then the car can go in :) :)

Jay

You need to incorporate a vapour control line on the warm side of the insulation or you'll still suffer issues with condensation. Foil backed plasterboard (external use obviously) would do if you can't find the proper stuff. (Check RIW's website for some easy to install painted solutions.) Alternatively, you could just undercut your garage door to ensure proper ventilation but then that will rather work against the point of creating a heated space. Incidentally, you do have an insulated garage door don't you? Somewhat pointless otherwise....

Mark

Ideally I could have put a vapour barrier in but there is plenty of ventilation above the insulation in the roof so it will be fine without a vapour barrier.

To be honest I am just looking to make it more comfortable while I work out there, a bit better for the car to be in and brighter too which it already is.

I plan to insulate the garage door and also the side door, but they will be done later.

Should get the car in tonight as I am just finishing the last bit of the ceiling this evening.

Jay

UPDATE:

Finally got round to spending a bit of time on the car today after all the efforts in getting the garage sorted.

I had previously picked up a pair of Dark Burgundy Pearl Doors as when I bought the car I noticed some quite bad damage to the trailing edge of the drivers door and some significant parking dents in the passenger door. So this afternoon I removed both of the doors off the car and replaced them with the new pair I had waiting.

The nice thing was when I removed the door cards from the car the membranes on both sides have never been removed and I managed to carefully get them off in one piece. Also every, clip, screw and trim bit was there and had never been taken off. So I will be putting them back together very carefully once everything is reconnected.

A couple of pics showing the state of the original door. The un-touched membrane and the excellent condition of the A pillars behind the doors :)

Slow progress really but, so far so good...

7b8ee1e7.jpg

80264b6f.jpg

360a8df4.jpg

Flash on the last picture? Looks more like blackberry than DBP. Good work with swapping the doors though. I'm still after hens teeth early DBP wings.

DBP does look like that though under bright light... certainly thinking of seeing Supercharged's car in sunny light, I've seen it look like that from some angles!

Really? I can't get mine to look that bright! looks a much darker colour like the first two pics. Maybe it needs a scrub!

Gorgeous colour though, like all the pearls.

There was some good sunlight on that bit when I took the picture, but it certainly shows the pearl thats there. Car is now in the garage so I can start working through everything.

One of my key things is to ensure every clip on things like the door loom is back exactly where it should be, as there are some really hidden ones up inside the door which are obviously there for a reason and is one reason why this car is still so tight!

Hopefully get a bit of time on it tomorrow.

Jay

There are some real awkward clips up inside the door. But it's worth putting them back to avoid the rattles and knocks.

A good, steady standard of work.

Great work, always love a good detailed build thread with pics as it's such a great learning process for people like me who aren't mechanics but when you've got thread like this it just provides enthusiasm to get working and give it a go, just wish I had a garage first :) sure the car will be transformed, and wish I could just 'whip' the engine out lol

Cheers Craig. I will try and add as much detail as I can as I go along.

I have to admit it's so nice to be starting with a car which is sooo complete this time, even if something needs replacing at least it is there to know it needs replacing :)

Tiny update. I managed to get literally 10 minutes on the car this evening and spent it sorting out the window mechanism mountings. In order to remove the window mechanism from the old doors I had to drill out the rivets. This meant the rubber bobbins which support the motor were ruined.

6e8984e7.jpg

So I bought some M6 exhaust mount bobbins, which are a perfect replacement for the riveted bobbins.

5309901a.jpg

They screw straight in the existing M6 holes in the motor and will bolt through the door where the rivets previously were.

b31b6912.jpg

I have not fitted them in the door yet as I did not have any time, but I am happy they will work and will be easily removable if necessary.

Jay

With those motor mounts you can drill the rivets right out and then cut a small slot in the side of the rubber with a sharp stanley blade, pop the old end of the rivet out of the slot and super-glue the rubber back up, worked a treat on several I've done and the rubber hasn't split again.

Have to say I prefer bolts to rivets though, why they riveted the originals I don't know, so cheap and nasty and it's not as if they rushed building the corrados anyway.

never liked buying cars that aren't complete tbh, in fact i haven't bought a car that has had anything missing.

like my corrado, it has all the clip, was 100% original and still isn't missing anything.......Its one of my key things

I cheated and just got new rubbers from the dealers !

Trouble is if you ever need to remove it again, and let's face it, it's a Corrado so you will, you have to drill the rivets again. This way it's just 3 nuts :)

I am going to be so fussy about every clip on this car, normally I am "customising" things so I make it the best possible I can, but on this one VW have already done it all for me so I will just make sure everything goes back as it was if not better ;)

Nice idea Jay.. as you say, riveting the thing back in is a total ball ache - this is far more elegant! Though I guess it does mean they could work loose and rattle...?