Kevin Bacon

300-600hp and 100mpg. Too good to be true? Maybe not

One for the engine fans....

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5432146-From-The-Same-Engineer-That-Gave-Us-the-VR6-and-The-VW-Diesel

Not a new concept but potentially the first to reach mass production.

Summarised, it's a 2 cylinder, 4 piston, 2 stroke engine which can run on diesel, petrol or Ethanol and is very efficient!

I love speaking to guys like this. Its just a little thinking outside the box and not following the standard line. Not really a huge departure, just using basic principals in a different way much like many other great ideas.

Military is where to get the funding, if you have something that has a military application then use their money to develop it.

I

I expect him to develop a military application using their funding as you said coulstar.

Interesting article in Evo this month about electric vehicles with on board generators. They are pioneering the technology in lorries. Lorries capable of pulling 20t and returning massive mpg, like 100's of mpg. They have also reduced the weight of the lorry by 9t! electric lorries are coming!

Didnt vw use this engine for there 300mpg motor? Didnt produce anywhere near the same power.

I'd almost say this was too good to be true if it didn't have that sort of pedigree / background! I can't wait to see if this makes it into production!!

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Im sure there are so many simple ideas out there that would give similar figures yet putting them into practice and making it a marketable product is the hard part. I seem to remember a good few years ago Lotus were looking at a small engine with air driven valves and a varialble compression motor with tiliting block to run on ethanol.

I've not read the detail, but it looks like a rejig of the Napier Deltic engine on a smaller scale. Funny, I was talking about that with someone the other day, very impressive piece of engineering. They are so smooth the use them on minesweepers in the Navy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

In fact, the more I read it, it is just a simplified Deltic engine. Sorry Mr Germany, but we Brit's designed it years ago, you're just tweaking it. :p

Edited by jamiehamy

Well, it's two stroke, which means it'll never make emissions targets for general use in cars for a start and also goes some way to explaining the potential power output. The second factor in that is that they're talking about being able to run it at "twice the rpm", so think 12,000 rpm .. The "fuel saving" comes from simply being able to shut off a pair of cylinders anytime they like because they don't have to worry about the engine running unbalanced. When under load, it's likely it's going to be about the same economy as a normal two-stroke.

All in all, it's an interesting idea for "dirty" uses and has some benefits in terms of size and weight saving, but it's really not the holy grail I think they're talking about.

Well, it's two stroke, which means it'll never make emissions targets for general use in cars for a start and also goes some way to explaining the potential power output. QUOTE]

Yup - I've seen a Deltic accelerate down the mainline and you'd have thought it was a steam engine the amount of reek these things put out!

Yeah that engine is nothing new, but VW are very adept at ironing the kinks out of an original concept and mass producing it, such as the G-Lader and VR engine.

If enough development was put into it, it could easily be viable. There are already modern 2 strokes that run as clean as an equivalent 4 stroke, but with obviously twice the power, so emissions won't be the reason this engine fails to make mass production.

I was just thinking along the same lines - and a bit of reading about Napier, and I find taht actually the Deltic engine was based on a reconfiguration of the Culverin, which was an OPOC 6 cyl in-line: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Culverin

Which was a licenced version of the Junkers Jumo engine so full circle I think