coullstar

Lucky number 7 - sold but 911 in its place

It's the screeching noises from the tensioner area that are slightly concerning!

So all the marks align as they should and after you've turned the crank 4 times, the intermediate shaft pulley arrow realigns with the notch on the block?

The intermediate shaft is what the gears the cams down to half crank speed, so I'm just wondering if the running like crap is because the injection angle is c0cked up. But it can't be if everything's timed up. Must be something else as Joni said.....

Yeah the noise concerns me as well but there was no sign on damage when I took it apart again. Everything seems to line up after turning over 4 times.

It does not seem to respond well to any throttle inputs so again that does lead to possibly something electrical. I should be getting it VAG Com'd tonight.

The little O ring in the chain cover didn't drop out when you dismantled everything? A loss of pressure in the tensioner would make all manner of nasty noises. I've done it before, so I triple check it's there before I put everything back together now!

Otherwise as you say, something electrical. Didn't disturb the cam sensor wiring did you? If you take that sensor out it's sluggish and unresponsive.

Good luck with it. Keep us posted!

Okay had a friend come round with VAGCOM and after the errors were cleared nothing showed up, tried starting the car and same result. It then showed up as engine speed sensor - no connection which Im assuming is the cam position sensor. I replaced the cam sensor wheel on the rear cam so maybe Ive damaged the sensor when its been sitting on the cover plate in the garage.

However the guy listened for the shreiking and it was heard to be coming from the front of the engine so Ive been thinking about tha and I forgot Ive only got the two outer bolts finger tight on the inlet manifold. This must be the issue i.e. air is being drawn in between the upper and lower part of the inlet causing the car to idle badly and not respond to the throttle inputs? It would explain the shrieking noise i.e. air is being drawn in when the revs rise? It would make sense to me as everything else appears fine.

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

Im actually laughing at myself, it must be this. I knew it was something simple, well heres hoping anyway.

Edited by coullstar

LOL!

G40 is the cam sensor. G28 is the crank sensor. Engine wouldn't even run without G28 but that fault code is a red herring anyway. OBD1 was never programmed to ignore the crank sensor when it isn't running.

a loose manifold would cause a huge vacuum leak which would deffo affect the running. Can you get a vid up of the shrieking noise maybe?

Its very much like when you put grass between your thumbs and blow through it. Its definitely the reason for the noise. I'll tighten all the bolts up tonight and give it a whirl. Im still cant believe I missed this, what a plonker.

Well thats exactly what the problem was after all. Im happy now but ****ed off that I missed something so simple. Was a good car day for me as the Scirocco was in getting mapped and some H&R springs fitted. Its now the car it was supposed to be, sits so much better and pulls so much better. ITG intake sounds quite good as well, nice and subtle.

Car was looking spot on tonight mate :D Finally got to see it up close. Good to see its back running again after a small hick-up!

Ah it was you. I knew Id read about a Tdi on here before. Couldnt believe it when I pulled into to get fuel and theres another one sitting there. Where were you though as I only saw your passenger having an ogle then you left?

That was it dirty, its now cleaned and tucked away till this salt fecks off.

Haha yeah, I was in paying for the diesel. I couldn't believe it when I came out the door and seen the two together. I thought it could only be you. I would have stayed to chat but was in a hurry to pick someone up. Some other time?

You think yours was bad! Try to wash mine twice a week but its impossible living out in the country at this time of year.

We really should get an Aberdeen meet sometime as I know off my two old ones, a Storm, another two red VR's, a grey G60, an auto Blue Vr and an oak green VR. Some of those have not seen the road for a while mind you.

We really should get an Aberdeen meet sometime as I know off my two old ones, a Storm, another two red VR's, a grey G60, an auto Blue Vr and an oak green VR. Some of those have not seen the road for a while mind you.

you forgot Skid's red mint G60 G

Yeah we should. I know there is a few up here kicking around but hardly see them, especially at this time of year as most are tucked up in the garage. Spring time next year methinks.

Been driving the car a little bit and it does feel better. Getting some noises from the topmounts so I'll need to check them out. Will get the 288's stripped at some point and get some OE looking Hel hoses possibly. Few little things to do over the winter and picked up another set of wheel last night. Didnt really want to go 17's again but Ive run these before and they were closets 17's in terms or feel / steering to the 15's plus the guy needed a quick sale so I went for them.

7.5x17, ET38 with basically new half decent rubber as well. Dont like the black so might go matt light grey or maybe even white!!

Quick photo of the Rocco lowered and with winter wheels on. Managed to get the new Raddo wheels on to see what they are like. I acutally quite like them in the black now, might just run them for a while now like this. Centre caps ditched as they look cheap.

Both cars look great with the dark wheels imo.

Rado would benefit from something shiny once the weather clears up imo!

LOL, car whore!

RS4s are awesome!

How come you took the 17's off the rado?

Well, RS4 bought. Flew to London yesterday and picked it up. 520miles later it was home. Love it!! I will be alternating weeks using this and the Corrado to keep the mileage down on the RS and get more use out of the Corrado. Its basically standard bar loads of MRC maintainance and a remap by them. Still not as quick as the VRT was though but a nicer place to be.