starksnuggetg60

Oil Filters.. Now Obsolete??!! (is it true??)

I've just been to my local VW Dealer in Hudds. (03/10/2011) and they told me that the Oil Filter for my Corrado 1991 G60 PG eng. code are all but obsolete throughout the whole of the UK, as of 2 days ago!! Does anybody know if other VW models use the same/similar Filter.. as a long term fix.. we owners are going to struggle. - forgive if this isn't posted in the right category.

Posted in exactly the right forum :)

Thank you very much. You are now top of my Christmas Card list.

xx

Its true guys,well over here in germany.Anything from VW that goes obselete over here, UK shorty follows.Ive tried to pick up a filter from the stealer two months ago,no joy.

Original filter is made by MAHLE so just pick up one of them,or good alternative BOSCH or MANN ones

why ? do VW hate G60's or somthing ?

i know you can get them elsewhere and will be able to for years but come on......what will be next?

thats a bad show huh , i can understand dropping trim parts after all these years , but service and repair parts should be avail

Whats so special about the G60 one? It has a different number to all the others used in the 4-cyl Corrados, which is odd. 037 115 561 for the G60, rather than 06A 115 561B which is used on everything from mk2s right up to A3, A4, A6, B5 Passat etc.

Personally I would just use the standard 06A filter on it. If you want a bit more capacity then the TDI one also fits the bracket - its the same height but larger diameter. 06A 115 561E - it was also used on the AEB 1.8T to prevent sludging and is

Huh so its a more filtery filter then. Well the TDI one is even more filtery so if it'll fit I'd use that instead :)

I'll bet a whole pound that the aftermarket lists exactly the same filter for the G60 as everything else :p

Meh. The Polo G40 used the same filter as all the other Polo engines, so the extra-filtery G60 argument is null and void anyway - its just VW being VW.

I don't really care since I only have diesels or V8s anyway :p

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

Ok I figured it out - the G40 uses an ordinary filter because the engine tends to melt before the charger wears out, whereas the G60 is a bit more robust and its usually the charger that explodes before the engine does :D

Edited by mikkijayne

whereas the G60 is a bit more robust and its usually the charger that explodes before the engine does :D

What a cheap shot lol..........

must admit ive used standard gti filters on mine , as said i cant really the g60 on being more filtery and the non g60s dont have any bad oiling problems ...prob just that nut you are paying for