ben_wooduk

Corrado VR6 - K22 BRW

Its quite simple, you need to remove the black engine cover and disconnect the ht leads and the connector to the coilpack. If it were in the haynes manual i'd rate it as a 1 spanner job

I'd check each lead first - with the engine running pull each lead in turn to see if it makes any difference. If not, you know that one is faulty. Take the plug out and look to see if its oily (ie nothing is being burnt during the ignition cycle). Try swopping plugs (maybe they're gunged up and need a clean). I've got some spare leads (individual), if you need them.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I'll give it a go this weekend.

When i pull the leads out to test them, can this be at either end (spark plug or coil pack) and do i pull out the plug whilst the engine is still running, rather than stop starting the engine?

Be careful playing with HT leads with engine running, you can get shocked by them

HA! Beat me to my own question, is there a . . .safe way?

For diagnosis purposes its best to do it whilst its running, for not getting a bloody shock purposes turn engine off but it's more difficult to notice a difference.

Can take it off at plug or coil end, whichever is easier to remove coil end with a pair of insulated pliers or plug end if you still have the ht removal tool but as Jim says go careful, it bloody hurts... I know first hand

For diagnosis purposes its best to do it whilst its running, for not getting a bloody shock purposes turn engine off but it's more difficult to notice a difference.

Can take it off at plug or coil end, whichever is easier to remove coil end with a pair of insulated pliers or plug end if you still have the ht removal tool but as Jim says go careful, it bloody hurts... I know first hand

:grin: I do not want to find out!

Cheers all.

You could just remove each plug and look at its condition. Dont need the engine on for that. Check their colours against an identification chart or post them up here. You'll know pretty quick which one is faulty.

When the engine is running dont rest your hand on the rocker cover when you're removing leads!!

Well, i'm failing at the first hurdle!! :bonk:

I cant get the plastic trim above the coil pack off !?!?! How do you unscrew the bolt holding it on? The other covers are held on by torx screws and are easily removed but this i'm not sure. It looks like a torx bolt but if so i dont have the correct size.

Its also alarming how many screws are actually missing!! I'll be putting that right.

The first pic shows the cover i can easily remove, the second pic shows the offending bolt.

The one screw looks like a 12 spline (?) Screw rather than a Torx?

Cheers mate, i didn't even know they existed lol.

Halfords have a set for a reasonable price so I'll pick some up

Worst case you can use an allen key but be careful it doesn't round off the splines. Yry spraying some wd40 from under the cover onto the thread

Thanks to everyone for help with the coil pack, i stumped up for the Beru product in the end and i'm really pleased how the C is running. Good job really as i'm driving to Leamington Spa for some paint work on Friday.

I just need to refit the engine cover but i don't like the look of the existing bolt/nut (and i appear to be missing one). Anyone know what they are called or where i can buy them?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94843[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94846[/ATTACH]

I think the one in your picture is part number 021133915B

You can google it, and there's a few places you can get it online, or you could get them from the $tealers

The other part of the engine cover uses slightly longer bolts, here's the part number in case you want to change those too: N90508101

I changed all my bolts a few years back, as they were looking a bit rounded

I think the one in your picture is part number 021133915B

You can google it, and there's a few places you can get it online, or you could get them from the $tealers

The other part of the engine cover uses slightly longer bolts, here's the part number in case you want to change those too: N90508101

I changed all my bolts a few years back, as they were looking a bit rounded

Spot on mate, thank you very much for this. I'll get googling! :D

I haven't updated this in a while but i've been gradually getting the C to where i want it.

First of all the car goes to Stealth now no matter what, Vince showed me a few things on my car that were quite frankly scary so i just do not trust anyone else anymore.

First thing was to replace the bodged suspension with KW v1 hoping that would solve the noise i was getting from the rear. It didn't, in fact the noise was coming from the new genuine vw rear axle bushes fitted previously, they had cut something out to allow the bushes in easier but in turn making a horrendous noise as they were moving about freely. :bonk:

Luckily, i'm told the powerflex bushes still fit perfect and the car drives beautifully again, but i'll never be able to fit vw again (unless i change the axle!).

Back to standard wheels and i'm happy with the look now, although i do think the wheels sit in a little so spacers are probably next on the list.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95063[/ATTACH]

I managed to pick up a leather interior, just down the road from me too which was a bonus. The condition was really quite good tbh but i had better foams etc so i did take it apart, i'll add some photos of that process later.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95064[/ATTACH]

By far the worst job was removing the old foam from the bonnet :pukeleft::pukeleft::pukeleft: Mine was literally falling away so I searched and searched this forum and none of the suggestions worked for me, it was really quite frustrating. In the end i bought a bottle Tar Off (i cant recall who recommended it) and although it was still hours of pain, it was the best product i used.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95065[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]95066[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]95067[/ATTACH]

Although the paint is in really good condition, rust is starting to show through the arches and a few little spots here and there so that had to be sorted which is a shame because as i say, it shines up lovely. After a few conversations i've plumped for the door shut respray. Is it a bit overkill . .. probably but for the first time in 13 years of corrado ownership it would be nice to have perfect paintwork! Here's where we're at so far . . .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95068[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]95069[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]95070[/ATTACH]

I'm going a bit mad with car care etc at the mo, spending way too much but having fun stocking up all on all sorts of goodies :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95071[/ATTACH]

13 years of drying the C is still as infuriating now as it always has been, perfectly dry and water falls from the roof rails, or the mirrors, or the fog lights, or the rear lights . . . .you get the point, and i'll get to the point, has anyone used one of these? It looks perfect for the job and would save on drying time as well. Thoughts?

https://www.cardryers.co.uk/Blaster-Car-Dryer.php

Well, I'm getting excited now :cool::cool::cool:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95079[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]95080[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]95081[/ATTACH]

I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.

What did they cut on the beam?

Under the boot lid?

I've been kicking myself because I forgot to get some proper "before" close up photos. :bonk:

I've tried to zoom up on the this photo, if you look under the O of Corrado you can see bubbling of paint. It had actually come away and was probably 6 cm2 of rust by the time the body shop got it so they cut it out and welded in a new plate.

Shame really, the rest of the panel was mint.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95086[/ATTACH]

Its going to be a beauty, really need to get mine resprayed at some point, always seems something else to sort first.

Cheers mate :thumbleft:

Tbf, I've been pushing this back for years now so I what you mean!