V Bachetta

*** HELP *** Advice on Engine required for Newbie

Hi,

I have a 1.8 16V KR Engine in my corrado at the moment, which is burning oil and leaking coolant. I have been told that my stem seals and pistons need to be replaced, however im no machanic or techy.

I have seen various people selling polished/skimmed heads from other KR engines, can someone tell me exactly what i need to do to put this right? What parts do i need (new head, piston rings, what else?)

Im thinking while i have this appart with my machanic, i will do spark plugs, fuel pump, water pump, fuel filter, oil pump ect...

Thanks for reading.

Veejay.

I would think you would need to strip the head and see what damage has been caused. The head gasket might be on its way, leaks can also occur around the water housings and pipe work. The problem is knowing what has been done if you but one from ebay etc so bank on taking it apart so you know all is well. The last thing you want to do is fit it all and discover a problem.

You might be better off having yours dismantled and replacing what needs doing and then you know its all sound. The replacement parts are easy to source. It also a good way to learn what the components do. Have you got a friendly VW mechanic? If not, im sure plenty of people can point you in right direction for the area you are in.

Hello Rams,

Thanks for the post, appreciate it. I have been talking to my machanic about this, he as also suggested to disamtel the head and send it off to have the valves pressure tested. Depending on what comes back from this, we were going to chance replace the various compnents that need doing from there including the gaskets ect.

As for the machanic, he's not solely a VW machanic however he knows what he's doing as i have helped him do a few jobs including a new engine into his Japcrap scooby.

Good stuff, its always tempting to just try what you buy for speed sake so its better to be safe than sorry. You never know, you may just need new val stem seals, new gasket etc and away you go.

Keeps us posted on progress

If it's any help to you, I have a bare KR engine (i.e. just the block and head) you could have for free if collected. One of the water pump bolts sheared but could be removed with easy outs or something. It's done around 115k IIRC and tbh could do with the room otherwise it'll be scrapped.

Nick

If it's any help to you, I have a bare KR engine (i.e. just the block and head) you could have for free if collected. One of the water pump bolts sheared but could be removed with easy outs or something. It's done around 115k IIRC and tbh could do with the room otherwise it'll be scrapped.

Nick

Hi... firstly thanks for reading and secondly thanks for the offer. Where are you based? Croydon, can you PM me your postcode and telephone number?

Veej

It's coming together already

I know, i feel like its my lucky day. I was now thinking, as i have a bare block and head it might be worth using that as a starting point to build a strong engine.

Hi... firstly thanks for reading and secondly thanks for the offer. Where are you based? Croydon, can you PM me your postcode and telephone number?

Veej

PM sent (i think - stupid phone!)

Nick

Do as much research as you can, knowledge is power...... Just dont get too carried away otherwise you will be searching for R32 engines! lol