GrahamU

GrahamU's 2.0 TFSI with DSG

Havent done alot for the past 2 weeks, been a bit busy at work testing this (and I dont mean my mk5 ;) )

IMG_0873_zps2494fbbb.jpg

nice little 3.8 v8 twin turbo and 600 horses, such fun :)

Re-fitted the subframe and engine today

IMG_0890_zpsbc7ee6ec.jpg

Also bought these:

IMG_0893_zpsd5bcdd23.jpg

IMG_0894_zpsf351dc78.jpg

IMG_0895_zps5ab427e4.jpg

IMG_0896_zps2a10009e.jpg

IMG_0897_zpsb05af845.jpg

IMG_0898_zps64b17ca0.jpg

Paid 40 quid for them but may sell some on as they cover all engines, auto box etc

edit... bloody pictures should be all the right way up but photobucket isnt playing ball, grrr

Edited by rado20vT

Had a little play with this today, got the speed and rpm showing and the tyre temps and pressure will get displayed when I put the TPMS ECU back in but I need to know/work out how to calculate the gear from speed and rpm

Its running on the CAN bus of my mk5 at the moment

IMG_0900_zpsbd27c3c4.jpg

Finally cut to size the spring cups, cleaned them of rust and sprayed them, then built up the front struts

IMG_0908_zps3062f18a.jpg

And had more of a play with my new display

IMG_0903_zps4715ddf5.jpg

P.S. Anyone watching the F1 may notice the resemblance in the LCD as McLaren, who supply the PCU 8D displays to the other teams use the GEMS display in their own box ;)

Doesnt seem that I've got much done recently, but most of the inside is now black, some of the outside is rubbed back and I bought so nice leather rear seats :)

IMG_0923_zps05b0bb7d.jpg

Just wet n dry the paint and sprayed, it was all red and I really didnt want to spend the time taking it back to bare metal for the inside where its all hidden

Little bit more body work today

Theres been a crease in the roof since I bought it, I forgot to take a picture of how it looked from the outside but when I remembered I took a pic of the inside of the roof

Looks like someone got a bit careless with the sunroof at some point in its life

IMG_0931_zps5c7f3ab0.jpg

and after my first use of my dollies and hammers followed by a skim of filler

IMG_0932_zps36bc10fc.jpg

Then finally decided to smooth the rear panel, well most of it, I wonr to keep the VW badge, just lose the creases on the corners and the holes for the Corrado badge

Cleaned out some of the panel filler and took the areas back to bare metal

IMG_0926_zps1d0c979d.jpg

IMG_0927_zpsa9bb3848.jpg

The put a couple of tacks across the gaps on the corners to try and stop any movement in the panels from cracking the filler

IMG_0928_zps443b59b5.jpg

Then a skim of filler for the smoothing and a bit in a dent I found

IMG_0930_zps3485b1d6.jpg

IMG_0929_zps35b54563.jpg

Next comes the sanding, but that can wait till next week :)

Been a bit busy with work lately, but today I got back out in the garage

got back to smoothing the rear panel, still not finished though.

IMG_1052_zpse992e012.jpg

Then while waiting for filler to dry I decided to modify the throttle pedal by adding an Audi TT rubber

IMG_1049_zpse42507ef.jpg

IMG_1048_zps6029c47a.jpg

IMG_1051_zps8d95dbeb.jpg

If everything goes to plan, I'll get some more time on it tomorrow

Also had a little spending spree on ebay

Got these TT inlet manifold and pipe to tidy up the pipework under the bonnet

1_zpsb456fdb0.jpg

2_zps040ef2b9.jpg

And a auto dim mirror, a mk4 handbrake, and a rear interior light from a mk5 golf GTI, (like the one below but in black)

6_zps475eaea4.jpg

3_zps941e58f2.jpg

4_zps0eb3c95f.jpg

From experience, check the width of the mirror. If they are too wide, and the mk5 mirror is wide, it will foul the passenger sun visor. Up to you obviously but for all the work and the risk of breaking screens, it would be annoying if you got caught out. Ask me how I know...

Thanks for the heads up Sean, I saw your posts the other night about the size but I already had this one

The worst thing is it looks like it has a little brown tint which I've now read could mean it is broke :(

powered the auto dim mirror and got a large bubble appear in the center.... but got another one today, admittedly from a mk4 golf so still quite large but this one works and I got it with a clutch switch and the fuse box that sits on top of a mk4 battery all for £15. winner

Then continued the smoothing.

IMG_1053_zps4fc8fd5b.jpg

IMG_1054_zpsb62ee1a3.jpg

I've left the BW badge in the center but someone had hit the rear panel before I got it and pushed it in little at the top, sorted now

I put some black gloss on it so I can see any imperfections, there are a couple :(

Been a while since I updated this, been traveling a fair bit so have been spending time with the family rather than working on the car.

Then when I have had a chance to work on cars my mate has asked me for help. Fitted my first rock and roll bed to a camper.

IMG_1259_zpsgfnyzkc1.jpg

IMG_1261_zps4szi1vbp.jpg

Anyway, back to the rado, since the last post I have sold the recaro's (seemed a shame to strip some perfectly good seats to have recovered in leather) I bought a pair of Ford Puma millennium recaro's but they sit to high, so I found some mk3 leather seats that I could swap the bases and make a hybrid seat but they are completely different sizes :( . I have now found a pair of TT leather seats for a good price in excellent condition that dont need any work. (used to be in RobB's old rado)

Today I decided to do the job I've been putting of and weld the remaining hole in the bottom of the right A pillar. Wasn't sure whether to buy another repair panel or have a go at it myself. In the end I used a complete length sill repair panel from a mk1 golf that I had in the garage, this had the basic shape and just needed a little work to get it to almost fit. It will need a little bit of filler to be perfect but not alot.

Still need to finish grinding it back fully but the F1 started

not the best picture

IMG_1267_zps0t1nwgwr.jpg

Ive also been thinking about wheels, a little premature maybe but I saw these and quite like them

wheel_zpsva5jyoru.jpg

Photoshopped onto a black rado

4qr62s_zpsguecb7b6.jpg

or maybe these

IMG_1262_zpstk8s2x2g.jpg

IMG_1265_zpsfybh7nm8.jpg

:)

IMG_1054_zpsb62ee1a3.jpg

I put some black gloss on it so I can see any imperfections, there are a couple :(

you got the right idea but i recommend not using spray paint as a guide coat , instead when sanding filler or primer use a powder guide coat, 3M and indasa do them which you just rub/wipe on and then sand off until its all flat to appropriate grit, dont have to wait for it to dry , doesnt gum up sand paper and you dont get over spray on other areas , once its flat and all the guide coats gone you then get a panel wipe cloth saturated in panel wipe and give the area a wet down to simulate a glossy clear coat and look at the angles checking for minor lows and highs that might need working, are you going to give it to a bodyshop to finish off or you going to try and diy it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRY-GUIDE-COAT-POWDER-BLACK-100G-INDASA-BODYSHOP-NOT-BLACKJACK-3M-OR-MIRKA-/171560154781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27f1c8369d