jjgti

What engine conversion should i do !!

hey all im at that stage where i dont know what conversion to do i have gone over all the posts and like the idea of the 20vt but have also spotted that you can get 180-200bhp out of the 2.0l 9a engine (currently in the car) and was thinking is it worth me keeping the 9a and spending my money on that or do a complete change and have the more modern more power but also more work 20vt engine and if so how much would it cost for the 20vt from start 2 finish

Only you can answer that question really. It all depends on what you want to get out of the car and how much your willing to spend?

You could spend a lot of money trying to get the 9a up to stock VR6 power, but personally I dont really see the point. Would be easier to just buy a VR.

Personally, if you can justify spending the money and you want to see decent power either buy a VR6 (car or lump) & spend money on some sort of forced induction or go down the 20vT route.

Think it really depends on what comes up engine wise...

You'll struggle to find a low mileage 20VT or ABF etc now, maybe worth looking at something more modern like a TSI lump

The 20vt costs as much as you want it too !

We don't know how mechanical/electrically minded you are ? If your doing the work !

If you take it in and have it down professionally,your are looking at about 6-7k depending on spec !

Yeah - as above I think Stealth used to charge around £5k plus plus the Engine and parts required for a 20VT

Really...bloody hell!

Do plenty of research what ever you choose. VR Always going to sound nice and the engines are cheap these days.

The 20vt costs as much as you want it too !

We don't know how mechanical/electrically minded you are ? If your doing the work !

If you take it in and have it down professionally,your are looking at about 6-7k depending on spec !

im a fully qualified and ata registered technician so ill be doing all the work my self :thumbleft: so that should save some of the £££££

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Do plenty of research what ever you choose. VR Always going to sound nice and the engines are cheap these days.

u are right about that u cant beat the sound of the VR and they pull like a train but if i was to do that is it not a better idea if i just buy a VR6 rather than swap the lump in mine haha

right so we have narrowed it down to 20vt or vr6 hmmmmmmm i like the idea of turbo but the sound and power of vr AAAAAAHHHH so hard 2 make a choice haha

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Think it really depends on what comes up engine wise...

You'll struggle to find a low mileage 20VT or ABF etc now, maybe worth looking at something more modern like a TSI lump

sorry for all the noob questions but if i go down the 20vt route what engine code do i go for (bam) 225bhp would be nice but ££££ is a lot more for 1 of them is it best getting a 150 or a 180bhp and map that

Edited by jjgti

Think your better off with the 225 bam and then you can map it straight up to 265/275 the 180 engine can only go to 220 as afaik, My TT has the 225 bam lump that has been mapped and goes like a train, my mate has a mapped R32 and he was shocked that the TT felt quicker

fit an electric motor and go green

haha im all up 4 saving the planet but u will never get me driving a Duracell car haha

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Think your better off with the 225 bam and then you can map it straight up to 265/275 the 180 engine can only go to 220 as afaik, My TT has the 225 bam lump that has been mapped and goes like a train, my mate has a mapped R32 and he was shocked that the TT felt quicker

really wow right i think im gonna go 20vt and if i can get a BAM..... BONUS thanks again guys been a big help was wrecking my head deciding on what 2 do haha

Some of the lads on the seat cupra forum are getting 301.0 BHP And 349.8 lb/ft with a Revo stage2 remap and a Badger 5 TiP (MK2) / Jetex Cone / Blueflame Turbo Back System / Forge 007p / TX Intercooler, Not bad figures for a 1.8 20v with a standard k04 turbo

Some of the lads on the seat cupra forum are getting 301.0 BHP And 349.8 lb/ft with a Revo stage2 remap and a Badger 5 TiP (MK2) / Jetex Cone / Blueflame Turbo Back System / Forge 007p / TX Intercooler, Not bad figures for a 1.8 20v with a standard k04 turbo

On the worlds most optimistic Dyno.......there is no way a Ko4 will push that much, 280 is about its max TBF!

i would be happy with 250bhp would still b mighty fast and wouldnt kill my wallet every time i drive it cz it will be my day to day car but even after saying that i would push 4 higher bhp in the future once i am used to 250 mwahaha

so if i get a bam it will map 2 250-300bhp+

am i correct in saying the only difference in the other codes is the mapping or is there other differences (noob question......again)

i would be happy with 250bhp would still b mighty fast and wouldnt kill my wallet every time i drive it cz it will be my day to day car but even after saying that i would push 4 higher bhp in the future once i am used to 250 mwahaha

so if i get a bam it will map 2 250-300bhp+

am i correct in saying the only difference in the other codes is the mapping or is there other differences (noob question......again)

Turbos and manifolds are different and some internals but the engines are basically the same