bmcc

Fitting a passat sunroof, worth doing?

My friend is breaking a passat and he has said that the sunroof would straight onto my corrado, he had one before on his old 16v

i was wondering how easy or hard a job this is, and at same time is it possible to fix my tilt only issue and make it slide?

Essentially yes - it's a good mod. It'll fix the tilt and slide (you're fitting the entire assembly) and gives you the benefit of having a tilt / slide glass roof instead with an extra manual shutter - so on a sunny day you can have the roof open but the shutter closed, to stop your head being toasted. Similarly with the roof closed but the shutter open, you can brighten up that dreary dark Corrado cabin a bit!

So yeah - good mod for the Corrado IMHO. Awesome if your car is a dark colour too as most people won't even notice the glass rather that colour coordinated roof.

If i can do it anyone can do it.

Seriously not a difficult job. Remove B and C pillars. Pull out the headlining. Undo 10 bolts (i think it was 10), disconnect the drain pipes and the sunroof will drop.

Fitting the passat one is the reverse.

And as Jim said its a worthwhile mod.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

with an extra manual shutter - so on a sunny day you can have the roof open but the shutter closed, to stop your head being toasted. .

I don't think i can do this on mine as im sure when the roof slides open it opens the shutter with it.

I don't have my at the moment to check this.

Just to clarify ( I know it's been asked before lol) it's the B4 Passat estate one that's the lovely flat fit on the outside of the roof? Or does the saloon one do the job too?

I suggest doing a good search before deciding on one.

I fitted one to mine just after RTTS this year after my original one jammed open and I snapped it forcing it down because it was raining :lol: However it took me a while to find one that would fit, so I would just make sure first. Each of the roofs are slightly different in their shape, and as a result fit with different effects. Mine gives me a slight increase in windnoise due to the curve of the screen and the fact that the front sits slightly higher than the roof - this is an easy fix I admit, just depends how much you want to play around with it to get it perfect.

From what I can remember B4 Passats fit, estate is the one to go for I think, seat cordoba's, toledo's aswell I think? some Ibiza's, I think its the MK2 golf ones that dont, supprisingly, but I could be wrong.

I used one from a Passat B3 (35i) Estate. Replaced the outer sunroof seal at the same time as the donor one was perished. Spent a bit of time fiddling with the adjustment to stop wind noise.

Happy with the final result. As others have said it allows more light into the dark interior.

Don't try and remove/fit the roof on your own though it's heavy and awkward, get someone else to hold it while you undo/do the bolts.