one_eyed_willy

crappy wheel bearings or something else?

I changed my rear wheel bearings about 3 weeks ago. replaced them with the febi ones from AVS.

ive done about 500 miles since and this morning i hear a slight noise from the rear. Just got home from work and jacked the car up and there's play in the left rear, far more than the right side.

any chance its something else? or crappy bearings? thought the febi one's are supposed to be ok.

theres no chance of me getting to look at it properly till the weekend as its too dark when im home, is the missus gonna be safe doing her 2 mile a day commute?

any help muchly sppreciated.

Did you adjust the bearing after fitting, as far as I remember when fitting rear bearing you run them for a 100 miles then re-tighten them, I might be wrong, but If you've done this then ignore my input! lol

nope not done this, didnt realise that. doh.

Yeah im sure if I remember correctly that you're meant to recheck rear bearings for this exact reason, if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will pipe up!

Yup they'll need nipping up. Not too tight though. Once youve tightened them up, try moving the retaining washer with a screw driver you should still be able to move it. If it takes a bit of effort then the nuts are too tight.

How tight did you do it? I allways tight it more then volkswagen recomend so we dont have those problems

I was always under the presumption that over tightening also killed wheel bearings too?

Said already but it the fitment thats been at fault here. There is a correct way to do everything and with the tapered type of bearing, how tight you make them is critical to the fit and use as it creates the clearance. Re-adjust the bearinf and hopefully they will still be ok.

The bearing should be pressed into the back of the disc, before going onto the rear axle stub, as you hear a click when they are in properly. I was told this by a mechanic. I put my bearing back onto the axle stub then put the disc on, I had to re tighten my rear wheel after 50 miles , not by much but that was proberly why

I've found over the years with this type of bearing on several cars that it is best to tighten them up more than needed to seat everything, then back off and re-tighten so you can still move the thick washer.

If you don't then you risk damaging the stub axle with them too loose, but it is a good idea to check and re-tighten after a few miles too.

right ive rechecked them and one had come a little loose. so re-tightened them and they seem fine now.

i definately fitted them correctly, i tend to have the envious task of fitting a fair amount of bearings a week. i just didnt realise that these type you had to re-check.

will keep an eye on them over the next few weeks.

cheers guys.

i just didnt realise that these type you had to re-check.

will keep an eye on them over the next few weeks.

cheers guys.

You shouldn't have to if you get them exactly right the first time (tricky!) although the only ones I have fitted that have never needed adjustment are genuine ones.