EJ Taylor

CAMS, cams, and more cams

im new to the vr6 world and im going to be putting cams on my 2.9 would really appreciate some advice and info on what they are standard... and what u can change them to without encountering problems?

thanks

If you do a search for this is will bring up loads on info but basics are that 263 or thereabout seem to get the best results for the VR. There is 263 Schimmels or 262 Autotech's, some use 268 Schricks.

From what i've read (and plan to do myself) SP263s are a good bet, both for naturally aspirated or forced induction.

I have 263's in mine and despite disappointing results on the rolling road, it does feel quick... will steam it's way up to 100MPH no problems, and I've watched it effortlessly pull round to 130 without much sign of letting up (when I was in Germany back in September before anyone asks) but I wimped out at that point - certainly a worthy modification!

well cams are as an addition to stainless steel manifold and exhaust system, port n polish to match manifold, and a chip, so all in all im hoping this will equate to something special in comparison to the standard build.

If you want to get really technical and do some deeper research, you'll find out which is the best side to port match and which you should leave alone.

Sometimes porting and polishing everything isn't the best idea.

Im in the SP 263 corner too.... got wicked results on dyno & feels great too. Id get a decent remap to compliment them too........ feels much better!

If you want to get really technical and do some deeper research, you'll find out which is the best side to port match and which you should leave alone.

Sometimes porting and polishing everything isn't the best idea.

Indeed. Not worth it on the VR6 unless big valves are fitted to compliment the cams.

i got big valve head and lost 40bhp with a schrick cam.

are u saying that the valves lost you the break or the cams did? or the combination? and despite "word about" im probs not going to get big valves (yet) but thanks for all the help u lot, once again been very helpful!

NEXT QUESTION!

Re-map/ Chip...... i know these arnt the easiest car to play with electronically, so what tips and advice could u lot share on Re-mapping and or chipping? where do i go? whats best to go for, thing to watch out for.........

thanks again!!!!!!!

Edited by EJ Taylor

Take no notice. He was extremely vague. I've never seen a VR6 lose power from properly implemented breathing mods.

Remaps and chips etc give a very minor improvement. Mostly just a sharpened up throttle response from more ignition advance at low rpm. Save your money until you fit mods to justify the cost of remapping.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Where are you based, EJ Taylor? Happy to take you out for a run in my VR which has cams and a remap to see if you think it feels any different! I think we chatted at the NEC Classic Car Show on the CCGB stand? (I've got short dark hair and glasses..)

I'd consider a modified throttle body too, the only mod on my VR6 I didn't regret at any point....ever!

Really improved throttle response, felt quicker than every (relatively standard) VR I've ever driven regardless of mods.

Where are you based, EJ Taylor? Happy to take you out for a run in my VR which has cams and a remap to see if you think it feels any different! I think we chatted at the NEC Classic Car Show on the CCGB stand? (I've got short dark hair and glasses..)

yer man, that was me, were u the guy i was stood chatting to for like 10 mins? but that was me who came over to the club stand!

and that sounds awesome i live in oxford though not sure how far that is for you?

chers all for the help once again!