24V Renshaw

Endless concern over chains....

Random thought, but after someone commenting on my VR being very quiet at the rolling road day, i.e no chain noise etc.. it got me thinking.

Everyone always goes on about the chains on the VR, its always the first thing on buyers guides. Now I know if the tensioner is not doing its job the timing of the two cams would be off slightly affecting performance, economy etc.. but has anyone actually ever had or seen a chain fail? I can't think that I have and just wondered how long they would last if the chains were rattling...

Jay

Random thought, but after someone commenting on my VR being very quiet at the rolling road day, i.e no chain noise etc.. it got me thinking.

Everyone always goes on about the chains on the VR, its always the first thing on buyers guides. Now I know if the tensioner is not doing its job the timing of the two cams would be off slightly affecting performance, economy etc.. but has anyone actually ever had or seen a chain fail? I can't think that I have and just wondered how long they would last if the chains were rattling...

Jay

Friend of mine at work did have issues with his newer but high mileage 3.2 VR Passat, the chain had streched with wear causing the cam position sensor to drift out of alignment resulting in an engine management light on and the ECU in limp mode. Given that it essentially a VR6 at its core and given the way the VR looks for No 1 TDC by using a camshaft sensor this could happen to the 2.9 VR fitted to the Corrado. However, we have no engine management light on a C and VAG-COM will simply say the sensor is out of limits - I wonder how many, if any, have been replaced when it's actually wear in the chains?

Maybe like you I've heard of a few horror stories second hand on here, but that's it no 'it happened to me' incidents. I'm worried about other aspects of the engine ahead of chains, and i think its only such a big deal service history wise because of the hassle of changing them.

Obviously pretty catastrophic if they do go though :/

Why did they use chains on the VR anyways, our "lower model" engines just have a cambelt like the other trillion cars on the planet.

There is a similar thread where someone asked for a survey to see what mileage folks had done and what state there tensioners were like. I think there are quite a lot of variable that determine when they need done so its not a hard and fast rule. Its been said before but it does seem very rare for them to break however you would only hear about that through a forum and most folk on forums naturally care about the car so they will replace them if need be therefore you dont hear about it. If that makes sense.

Covers off and take a gander is the only way to be sure. There was some with wear through to the rivets at ~90k againts my own car with virtually no wear at 136kmiles.

over the years of being involved with VR6OC.... I've seen a handful of chain failiures / stretching and jumping teeth...

it does happen, probaby seen about 6 - 7 instances over the lat 7 years...

Why did they use chains on the VR anyways, our "lower model" engines just have a cambelt like the other trillion cars on the planet.

Because the petrol powered VR was going to be a diesel engine..

Bit of a classic this.

Having had the opportunity to listen to many a VR engine, owning a few myself as well as breaking a few. The chain issue seems very car history specific. For example:

Case 1:

Just in the process of doing chains/tensioners/guides on my personal car. Just shy of 170k, used mainly for motorway work for the last couple of years. Lease car in its early days, which is never a good thing. On removal, only real sign of wear was a very worn and grooved metal rear guide and a slightly brittle plastic guide. Tensioners, both in one piece, chains are good nick although haven't checked against new for stretching. No nasty noises and only changed due to engine coming fully out of car for an overhaul and tidy. People laughed when you'd tell them the mileage after listening to the engine under load.

Case 2:

My brother's 95 Golf VR6. Recently Supercharged running just shy for 300bhp. Approx 140k. He had the lump out for a pre-charge check, did chains/tensioners after inspecting tensioners and found one to be in many pieces not actually providing any tension and the other not enough tension. Guides looked barely worn but all changed for precaution due to increased pressure on lump.

Case 3:

On initial search for a Corrado, 2-3 years ago I viewed 7/8 before actually buying one. A owner/car I visited in Slough looked the ticket on paper, low mileage for year sub 90k, body looked in good nick. History was there, owner seemed genuine. Started her up and straight away I became aware of the all most unmistakable chain rattle/clatter. He'd failed to mention this before but needless to say I walked away from that one, bearing in mind I was spending 3.5-4k at this time.

So really my experience can be summed up as follows.

Mileage, means nothing really.

Service History, means everything.

And if you've just bought a VR, you'd be well advised to whip the side covers off and have a little check of the condition of various top chain related parts. Should give you a good indication of the condition of the bits you can't see.

Completely agree. Mileage to me has never meant anything on a car.

I go with history, gut feel and a mechanical understanding.

My latest Rado has done 213,000 and as mentioned at the beginning of the thread is super smooth and pulled 190BHP and 190lb/ft on the rollers. I have yet to check the chains/tensioners and have no idea when/if they were done, but high mileage does not always mean bad and low does not always mean good.

On the original topic, does anyone have any actual photographic evidence of tensioner/chain failure?

Might try and check mine while car is in bits. Never ever looked and i've done 60k since i've owned it. Engine on 194k now....

I've always been put off getting it changed for £1500 and then still be unsure about the condition of rest of my engine internals.

Can buy an R32 engine for £1500

A friend of mine told me of a magazine article in a popular magazine (cant remember which!?!?) which had an article about a Sharan VR6 on which the chains snapped at high speed and did catastrophic damage. I will try find out which magazine, I'm sure he mentioned pictures!

On the subject, I just purchased a storm with nearly 180k on with FSH, mainly motorway miles, no evidence of the chains ever being done and when the previous owner asked the garage about having these done, they checked and told him not to bother.

To be honest, it's probably smoother and pulls just as well as mine, which has a 30k engine in it.

How many more times, there are more than enough threads about chains as it is.

FACT - You cannot determine chaingear condition by sound alone. You need to actually look at the bloody things.

Locked.