Wullie

Aldi Welder - Any use?

I have got a little arc welder similar, (a clarke one), comes in handy for all sorts, Making workbenches and making up special tools, welding nuts onto rounded off heads etc. But as carrots said for cars a MIG is more suitable. It is possible to weld thin(ish) sheet with an arc using very small electrodes and low amps but not ideal and very easy to just blow a whole through.

welding is the best thing ever, seriously i use my welder at any and every opportunity, so satisfying sticking metal together :)

With lots of practise you should be ok on sheet metal, as has been said, thin rods and only low amps. Look into the molten metal (through the mask only, unless you want a hospital trip feeling like you want to claw your eyeballs out!) keep the rod moving and wiggle from side to side! The rod not you! ;) Practise lots before you go near the car, RSJs are good to practise on......turn up the amps and go for it!