Chains arrived yesterday. Picked up a new LUK clutch kit form GSF for 93 quid!! Result!

My local retarded Vw dealer wanted £249 +vat!!

Where's the best place to buy the golf mk4 top pad and tensioner from?

Vw quoted £15 for the pad and £45 for the tensioner...

Seems an ok price tbh

I'm thinking of doing te head gasket on it aswell while the engines out.

How much would I expect to be quoted for a skim?

Would any machine shop be able to do it?

Would a higher compression gasket need to be fitted after?

Iirc rob said that the shells need replacing.

Are these the ones that the crankshaft sits in?

Is it a case of just removing them and putting new ones in and then just re-fitting the crank?

I may aswell do that too while its out!

Thanks in advance guys

Ben

Fitted a new radiator today along with a new temp switch. The old one blew out on Wednesday night and by the looks of it, it's been fooked for ages!!! Luckily it was only a few minutes from my house too!

[ATTACH]73900[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73901[/ATTACH]

The new one was a good fit but was a bloody fiddly job getting the temp sensor plug back on lol got there in the end tho :)

Fitted the original header tank back on aswell! Finally got rid of the ugly mk4 one!

Tidied up some old sh!tty wiring tape with some fresh stuff and used up the end of a can of spray wax on the rad support panel :) don't want that to get as bad as my old one lol!!

It's getting a good wash tomorrow and a polish early Sunday morning in time for Stanford hall :D can't wait !

Ben

P.s I got the new rad from kempston radiators for anyone around my area!

All in it came to £149 and is a proper Vw hella one

[ATTACH]73902[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73903[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73902[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73904[/ATTACH]

Fitted the moonroof yesterday at last and really pleased with how it looks/fits!

Did it on my own in about 2 hours which I thort was good!:) was a bit awkward getting the new one up into place on my own, held the heavy bit with my leg while I located it on the brackets at the rear.

The roof lining was a bit of a struggle too as I didn't fully remove the C pillar trim when taking it out!

Ill deffo remember that for next time as i want to dye the roof lining and sunroof cover bit.

Sorted the wheel bearing aswell but should've got a pair as the other ones a little noisy now :( lol

[ATTACH]73941[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73942[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]73943[/ATTACH]

On the trial fit it did stick out a bit on the front edge but with a few washers I evened it out quite well!

Fits really nice now :)

Never really planned on a moon roof but as i got it with the car i thort i may aswell try it! Think I like it better than the metal panel tbh

Started work on my engine on Sunday as me and my friend got the chance to borrow an empty unit nearby :)

Stripped most of the stuff from the engine and labeled loads of stuff up.

Went back up there yesterday and got the gearbox off and removed a few more parts.

Already had to order a new clutch slave as it came out in 2 pieces! One of the engine sensors broke up as I unplugged it! Think it's the knock sensor? (Behind oil cooler)

The gearbox mount bolt was just spinning and not undoing, tryed unbolting the other part of the mount but with no success! In the end I smashed a ball joint splitter between the mount plate and where it bolts to the gearbox! Eventually got it off :)

The gearbox was a pig to get out but after raising the engine a little we did manage to wriggle it out in the end!

Tonight's checklist includes:-

Flywheel removal

Fit new chains/tensioners

Fit new rear crank seal

Clean engine and gearbox

Clean engine parts and paint

[ATTACH]74683[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]74684[/ATTACH]

Picked up my last two timing parts from T.P.S in Milton Keynes yesterday along with G13 coolant. Was going to buy 10 ltrs of quantum synta silver while u was there but he informed me that 20ltrs is on offer from today(wed) untill Friday!

2x 5ltr bottles is £29.90 ish

20ltr drum is £35.00

Going to pick that up on Friday :)

More updates tomorrow :)

Iirc rob said that the shells need replacing.

Are these the ones that the crankshaft sits in?

Is it a case of just removing them and putting new ones in and then just re-fitting the crank?

I may aswell do that too while its out!

Thanks in advance guys

Ben

You don't need to remove the crank for this. Quite straightforward really, just a little time consuming and make sure you put the shells in the right way.

Do this:

drain the oil

leave the car to stand overnight otherwise you end up with continual oil droplets on you which is hugely frustrating!

remove the sump

work from one side and take of each crank cap separately

remove the bottom shell noting the path of the little tab (oil pathway)

push the piston crank up and away from the crankshaft and slide the upper shell out, again noting the position of the oil channel

lube the new shells and refit the upper

pull the crank down onto the crankshaft and refit the lower shell

refit the end caps and tighten to the required torque

Keep lots of rags handy as you will still have oil drips.

make sure everything is clean!

Cheers for that fla

I won't be doing it this time tbh as I've already spent a small fortune on buying parts.

What's the symptoms of bad shells then?

Ben

So I finally got round to sorting out the crank seal leak!!

Managed to borrow half a unit to keep the car while work was done, which turned out really handy as it rained non stop for a few days!

I used the timing chain wiki off of here to do most of the work! Made it really quite an easy job apart from removing/refitting of gearbox!

The crank pulley didnt have the timing mark on it which slowed me down a bit but with a bit of advice from you guys I got it sorted :)

The chain and tensioner replacement went really smoothly and timed up perfectly!

I've still got a tiny spot of oil dripping from somewhere which I need to look into but apart from that its been absolutely spot on for the last week!

So it's all ready for MIVW in August!

I ****ed up on the ferry by leaving it too late so I'm going the long way round via Calais now instead of harwich-holland.

I hope I make it there and back!!!

Here's a few pics

[ATTACH]74859[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]74860[/ATTACH]

Worn out clutch

[ATTACH]74861[/ATTACH]

Upper tensioner wear compared to normal...

Ben

Loving the progress Ben.

The clutch looks dead as dead can be...along with the upper tensioner. Mine had starting coming away from the rivit point as the rivit had almost lost its head completely.

​Keep up the good work.

Loving the progress Ben.

The clutch looks dead as dead can be...along with the upper tensioner. Mine had starting coming away from the rivit point as the rivit had almost lost its head completely.

​Keep up the good work.

Cheers stu

Where you been hiding recently? Lol

I think the next job is a front and rear subframe refurb! Aswell as having a look at the steering rack.

I want some all red rears aswell :)

Cheers stu

Where you been hiding recently?

Mainly in the Isle Of Man... ;)

Looking good matey I have the sunroof job to do as well I am just replacing a glass roof with scratches I also have a brand new sunroof seal one of the last from the dealer's also got one of the last driver's side scraper seal for spare's, keep up the good work

I had a bit of a bad time yesterday involving another sh!tty samco hose!

I pulled up at some tyre place in bletchley (as absolutely no one around Bedford had any 205/50s !! Getting rare aparently!!), walked over to talk to the guy and.. BANG!!

Smoke/steam was pluming out from under the bonnet and water was pi22ing everywhere!

The coolant pipe that goes from heater matrix to cyl head and throttle housing had totally given up. I did have a pin hole leak on the pipe but it blew out the other end!

[ATTACH]74887[/ATTACH]

Anyway, thank feck my local T.P.S was about 5 minutes down the road!

Took a stroll down there and spoke to the guy. He said I'd be lucky if the car actually came up on the system! But it did :) . Found the part on etka and put it into the stock system thing and was showing 1 left !!!

So I walked out with what he said was "the last or one of the last ones in the uk".... Sweeeeeeet!!

Walked back, fitted it and jogged on home :)

What jubilee clips are you using? Almost as if its been over tightened and had cut into the hose, you should only use "rolled" edge jubilee clips or the proper samco ones to avoid damage.

Ben I have a set of speed lines with 2 really good falken ziex 912 if your interested? They have 6mm plus tread on

What jubilee clips are you using? Almost as if its been over tightened and had cut into the hose, you should only use "rolled" edge jubilee clips or the proper samco ones to avoid damage.

It had the original spring clip on it!

It's in two pieces in the photo cus I ripped it off. The flappy bits where it split. How much do they charge for these jubilees then?

---------- Post added at 8:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:25 AM ----------

Ben I have a set of speed lines with 2 really good falken ziex 912 if your interested? They have 6mm plus tread on

Nice one rob. Yes please!!

Not a fan of my samcos either, keep meaning to buy some new hoses, am always smelling coolant and think its through the hoses.

Yeah I know what you mean jim, I get a faint smell too. That could be because it had a tiny leak but even after changing the hose I still smell it!

Think I'm going to take the advise of mr E.j. Tailor and go for the Venair hoses in the near future. They look just as nice and are a better construction, also cheaper!

Heard good things about roose Motorsport hoses from stonejag aswell so ill look into that aswell but it's whatever's cheaper for me really..

Big thanks to rob (robo22sri) for the nearly new wheels and tyres :D I would've stayed longer to chat but my mate wanted to get home!

New tyres also sorted for the estorils!

Purchased some European breakdown cover for the upcoming MIVW trip :)

Can't wait !!!!!

I had a bit of a bad time yesterday involving another sh!tty samco hose!

I pulled up at some tyre place in bletchley (as absolutely no one around Bedford had any 205/50s !! Getting rare aparently!!), walked over to talk to the guy and.. BANG!!

Smoke/steam was pluming out from under the bonnet and water was pi22ing everywhere!

The coolant pipe that goes from heater matrix to cyl head and throttle housing had totally given up. I did have a pin hole leak on the pipe but it blew out the other end!

Ben, make sure you check the condition of the heater matrix inlet/outlet pipes.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me post fitting some my samco's and it resulted in dash out -> replace heater matrix.

You may be able to catch it before the inevitable happens if any damage has been caused. Saving engine/embarrassment /strandedness later potentially.

Ben, make sure you check the condition of the heater matrix inlet/outlet pipes.

I had exactly the same thing happen to me post fitting some my samco's and it resulted in dash out -> replace heater matrix.

You may be able to catch it before the inevitable happens if any damage has been caused. Saving engine/embarrassment /strandedness later potentially.

Cheers stu ill check the matrix pipes later on. It was on the cyl head end where it's split but the other end wasn't that great condition!

I've been meaning to email samco to see if they can sort it out for me. I've been told by someone at samco that this shouldn't happen to their hoses so they'll try sort it!! One good thing instagram's for :D

I got in touch with samco about my hoses and they said they didn't know what i'd meant and chucked the rule book at me about having original sales invoice, removing my hoses and sending them to them etc, i couldn't be bothered with the hassle and lost interest with them. Going to replace the leaky ones with something else.

On my samcos the very inside (surface that is in contact with the coolant) of them have cracked/split and the coolant seems to slowly leak out the end of hose where they are cut off.

I've been tidying up my engine bay over the last couple of days as it looked a bit sh!tty !

[ATTACH]75129[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]75130[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]75131[/ATTACH][ATTACH]75132[/ATTACH]

I was thinking of doing the rest of the engine plastics in blue aswell?

What ya think? :)

Ben