bristolbaron

VW T4 transporter with 2.4 engine.. anyone know anything about them?

A mates selling his T4 as he's moving away, Ive been tempted to buy a cheap van for weekends away etc and was wondering if anyone knows about the 2.4 engine..

It's donen 250k miles, so I don't know if i should be worried.. its had a cambelt 10k ago though so just turbo to worry about?

Its a 95 N with tax and mot till end feb.. should I be paying around £1500??

Cheers

Baz

Just replied in my rust thread! :lol:

The 2.4 is N/A so no turbo but painfully slow because of it - if the vans in good solid condition then somewhere around £1500 sounds pretty fair to me.

haha.. good work.. i was just getting impacient!

hmm.. painfully slow, i dont like that :(

as long as the price sounds right though its sounding okay..

Yeah if you'd just be using it for the odd weekend away or to shift stuff about or whatever it doesn't really matter, they're good strong engines and the T4 is a great van overall, although an N reg 2.4D won't be the best, it'll definitely feel like a van, whereas the more modern/quicker TDi's can be more like driving a car.

Having owned mine for 3-4 years now I really wouldn't be without it, best vehicle I've ever owned by a country mile, and I've owned a good few! :lol:

he bought it round this evening as he's leaving for Spain in the morning on a 2 year contract. Instead of test driving it we had a few last day ciders instead :wacko:

He's left it with me to either buy from him or sell on his behalf if I dont want it.. Its got 18" BBS RK2's and Alfa Recaros too so pretty nice. The back is just plain carpeted.. no bed, but i'd just airbed i think if i keep it. I'm off to browse vwt4forum.co.uk for interior ideas!

Cool, sounds OK for the dosh, if the bodywork and interior are in good nick and you like it enough then you could stick a 1.9TDI in it fairly cheaply/easily, I've driven one with the conversion and they go quite well.

I love my T5, get a van they are great. Mine is off for a new engine next week after 5 months off the road. Buy it, you won't regret it, kept in good nick a T4 will retain if not go up in value. Should be easy enough to work on too.

Okay so here's an update..

I've still got the van and have been driving it the past couple of weeks.. It's actually really nice around town, and as others have mentioned, very car like - especially with the recaros - its like being back on my old G60 recaros!

However, for what I need it's just not the right vehicle.. I do need something big, but I think an estate is the way forward.

It's gonna have to go up for sale, but what would it be worth? here's a rundown of spec I know about..

It is:

VW T4 Transporter

1995 N Reg

2.4 diesel

251k Miles

MOT end Feb 12

Tax end Feb 12

Some service history, cambelt was changed approx 10k Miles ago.

It was painted a few years back in Golf R32 Blue

Recaro seats from an Alfa Romeo 156

Stainless Steel Twin Exhaust

Carpeted rear panelling

Passat V6 Alloys

Now - The options are, do I sell it at a lower price or tax and MOT and ask better money?

The paint isn't brilliant, the van looks great until you get close where some rust bubbling on the arches and signs of paint/lacquer peel become apparent.

So.. What's it Worth?!?.. Oh and please don't think it wont get a wash before I take photos for the sale ad!

Many thanks

Baz

photo23y.jpg

photo22v.jpg

photo21k.jpg

photo20z.jpg

photo19n.jpg

photo18pd.jpg

photo17l.jpg

photo16sv.jpg

photo15yk.jpg

photo13yb.jpg

photo14bo.jpg

photo12na.jpg

photo11na.jpg

photo10bf.jpg

photo9qb.jpg

photo8e.jpg

photo7g.jpg

photo6tu.jpg

photo4xh.jpg

photo3tl.jpg

Errm, well looking at the bodywork it needs a bit of money spending on it, and with the tax and test about to run out I'd say you'd be lucky to get £1200 at the moment - although you never know your luck.

I think if you got a full ticket on it you may be able to get £1400-£1500? baring in mind, I'm no expert.

Found a 93 transporter 2.4d for sale with 55,000 original miles. Has original paint no rust. He started it and sent me a video sounds good little rattle echo noise .. but he drive it an sounds pretty good. Any advice ? Should I got for it? Super low miles. I guess a church owned it an sold it to him. 

Old thread and not really Corrado related - but if you are interested, go and see it and take it for a test drive.

The engine should be fine at that mileage (and is capable of much more). T4s suffer from rust, check mot history and get under it looking for rust. Some surface is to expected and a lanogaurd treatment will do it no end of good

Sent from my SM-G990B2 using Tapatalk