Westginge

VR6 - Prep for track car

Hi, i have just bought a 1994 VR6 this weekend to turn into a full track car (my old 328i track car broke badly), what are the best suggestions and things to watch out for please. I have read alot about temp and changing the therms so i will get that done, plus i'm sure the brakes need uprating for track use. It has a mega oil leak (only when running) so i need that looked at 1st, plus the three pronged locking nut is broke so i need to get the wheel nuts drilled off.

So once ive forked out and got this done whats nexts? advice please on :

Ride height for track - and whats best to get it to the optimum

Exhaust - stay std?

What brakes have people uprated to?

Tyres- what profile can the speedlines run at best with (50 seems quite high)

plus any other tips i need please.

Thanks

Welcome, Ive tracked a couple of Corrados and depending on your budget there are certain things to do. As always first thing to do is brakes. Cheapest option would be 288mm brakes from a late Golf VR6 with good pads and discs. That way you can run standard wheels. Feeling flush then brembo's from Seats are a good upgrade but bigger wheels will be required.

Next is cooling or oil cooling to be specific. Get an oil cooler in there. Baffled sump will help as well. I have one to fit but might not be bothering now so it could be up for grabs.

Tyres I found were a problem unless they are the track focused ones with the stiffer side walls for 15's. Suspension doesnt need to go that low, they handle well even in standard form.

Best mod for the track (or any VR) is to get a Golf G60 3.68 final drive and 3rd gear for the gearbox as the standard box really is not suited for track work.

Hi, thanks for your thoughts so far, its having its major oil leak sorted on Friday and the wheel nuts sorted, then its onto the brake challenges!

Is fitting an Oil Cooler easy? and Coullstar - how much is it?

Sorry cannot help as Ive not fitted an oil cooler before. Try searching as I know quite a few have fitted them before. I had one on my old VR6 turbo and max oil temp was about 115deg on track, with my standard VR it rose quickly to 130deg so it shows they work. If your interested in the baffled sump let me know.

Updates and questions !!!

Hi - i have now swapped the wheels with a set of Golf GTi wheels and replaced all the tyres - the original wheels were quite corroded (but i may keep as spares). Interior all stripped out, Racing pads put on - ( i went for Predator ones) and Dot 5.1 flushed through. Rust spot son doors and rear quarters ground down and filled, and resprayed ( not quite the exact colour match but will do for 1st track outing later this month) Its in my local gge today as it has a massive oil leak when cold around the oil cooler and its easier for them to repair.

One issue they said they cant sort is the Camber? it pulls terrible to the left so i asked them to sort the tracking, but they said i need to take it to VW to get the camber sorted? does that sound right and is that a big job?

Thanks

Try and find a place that has laser wheel aliment, should cost around £50 to get it all lined up and will make a world of difference.