elliott

9a ABF conversion and 288 on 4 stud?

Just a quick question, can i convert my 9a to run ABF didipants injection and is it possible to run golf 288 brakes up front but keep the 4 stud option. Just collecting parts the now but one day i'd like a good car :)

Thanks chaps...

For 288s on 4stud you either need to re-drill some 5stud discs to 4x100 pcd, or find some blank discs with the correct offset and drill them yourself.

If you want to run the 9a on abf management you'll also need abf inlet manifold and throttlebody and possibly a few more bits, not sure how the ecu would deal with the differences, might struggle. You could just get a similar set up on a megasquirt ecu. If you just want rid of the 9a ballaxe. Alternatively put a whole abf in there.

Thanks guys, I've been looking for this info for a while now. The 288s sound like a challenge so I might go down that route but it sounds like living with the ballaxe (lol) 9a might be easier as I've got 2 of them. I have come across this megasquirt before but I haven't a clue where to start, the price might decide for me but I'll look into it. At the end of the day it would be nice to have a reliable 16v with maybe a little retro tunning once the main jobs are done.

Much appreciated

elliott

Are G60 brakes not 280mm and a straight bolt on? I'm sure someone will confirm either way, if so surely a whole lot easier than redrilling etc :)

Doh! Of course :scratch:, g60 brakes would be the way to go. Ebay search comming right up :)

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

Twin pot calipers? On Ebay.

Or you can go Seat Ibiza Cupra brembo's 305mm I think they are and 4x100. You can use the audi s2 calipers, they are twin pot and can be run with 280mm but easiest option is to go with G60 brakes or get the brakes off an early mk3 golf gti/vr6 (280mm) and use G60 discs seeing as people like to bump the price up on 'rare' G60's.

More great information, thanks mate.

2nd hand cheap thrills are what i'm looking for so mk3 or g60 sounds like the plan. Cupra brembos sound like the dogs danglies but a bit out my budget.

The valver set up is shockingly poor IMO so it's the first upgrade on the list :)

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Is this what i'm looking for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-IBIZA-CUPRA-R-TURBO-BACK-BUMPER-BREAKING-SPARES-/250963879257?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a6e9ce559

Think so but don't quote me on it, best asking him.

Oh and just checked, you're about 50 minutes away from Upullit in Inverkeithing, the most epic scrapyard! Got one near me, picked up a full set of 288s for £15. They sell everything dirt cheap, engines for £50, doors for £15, its brilliant!

That's just across the bridge for me, about 30min away and funny enough just across from where i bought my valver from :)

Found a valver in dumfries but it sat for only 2 weeks before it was crushed, got a lot from it but failed to pull the subframe and steering rack from it. The weather didn't help and the usuall crusty vw bolt saga took up most of my time.

Thanks again.

Early mk3 gti/vr6 have 280mms so do corrado vr6/g60, all these car apart from the corrado g60 at 5stud, so you can use there calipers and carriers and then use g60 4stud 280mm disc, so you should find a set on this forum easy enough.

As for the engine is it just a case of sacking off the fueling set up you wanting? Americans use 8v set ups (digi 2) I think to remove the kr/9a setups because they never had the option of ands over there. I read a how-to a few years ago possibly on vortex, can't realy comment on how it is tho, maybe worth a read, I'll see if I cannfind it

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Early mk3 gti/vr6 have 280mms so do corrado vr6/g60, all these car apart from the corrado g60 at 5stud, so you can use there calipers and carriers and then use g60 4stud 280mm disc, so you should find a set on this forum easy enough.

As for the engine is it just a case of sacking off the fueling set up you wanting? Americans use 8v set ups (digi 2) I think to remove the kr/9a setups because they never had the option of ands over there. I read a how-to a few years ago possibly on vortex, can't realy comment on how it is tho, maybe worth a read, I'll see if I cannfind it

Never thought about using 8v stuff, interesting idea and another thing for me to read up on.

There are two reasons for wanting rid of the k-jet, the first one is because its a total ballache to work with and the other is it just takes up way too much room in the engine bay. As it's all working i'll stick with it but in the end i'd like a clean engine bay with the minium of pipes and wires.