alexvr6storm

Newbie, Mystic Blue Storm just purchased.

Hi all,

I have just bought a VR6 Storm Auto off a friend. I have known the car for years and always told him to let me know if he wanted to get rid...

It is a bit scruffy but mechanically sound. Am i right in thinking they only made 10 auto Storm's in each colour?

It has just done 90k, how does that compare to other Storm mileages out there peeps?

First thing i want to sort out is the insane ride height!!! I can put my fist between the rear wheel and arch without touching either!!!

Will get some pix up if anyone is interested in seeing her.

Look forward to being on the Forum...

Welcome to the forum! hope you enjoy your stay and get some pictures up!

I think they made 50 in each colour, mileage wise its reasonably low for its age but I've seen some storms as low of 40k and others as high as 200k+!

I have a personal hate for 4x4 ride heights, first thing I did on mine was get some coilovers on it. Some purists will give you an evil stare for lowering a storm but just ignore them! lol.

Welcome!

They did only make 10 in each colour so makes it quite rare now, however alot of manual Storms getting broken for parts so manuals are getting there too.

Mines a Classic Green manual and mine has coilovers on it, I also have another with standard suspension at the moment and although it rides high I'm not sure which I prefer. Personal preference I suppose.

Enjoy the forum!

Welcome to an excellent forum, if you think rough milleage is 10 - 12 k a year, the aged of your car I would say its definately sensible.

Quite a few on here have swapped autos for manuals and have felt an improvement on performace but a personal choice at the end of the day. Never driven an auto vr myself to comment.

Rams

Yep a lot of those miles have been in the last 2 years, it had only done 50k when he got it in 2008. I would have preferred a manual but he let me have it for an absolute steal...

Long term i am looking to get it tidy and find a green manual storm.

Also the sunroof is not in a good state, a common problem i understand.

How can i tell if it's just the motor or if the whole mechanism has gone?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51116[/ATTACH]

welcome to the forum... loads of suspension choice out there so take your time getting a good set - been discussed widely on here. Some maintanence will not only help you learn about your new wheels but will reassure you that you KNOW the age & type of: oil, gearbox oil, brake fluid thats in there so thats what id do first.

Enjoy!! :dance:

Easiest way to tell if it is the motor or mechanism that has died in your sunroof is to take the interior light out and remove the trim that it sits in( should be 2 screws)

Check if the motor has an Allen key slot on the back. If it does try to turn it both ways and see if it moves the sunroof.

If it doesn't have an Allen key slot unscrew the motor and reconnect the loom an switch to it. This will tell you if the motor operates.

Now grip the part of the motor that turns and try to operate it. Don't apply too much pressure against the motor as you may burn it out completely.

If it works with a little resistance against it chances are the sunroof itself has seized. There is a guide somewhere on how to service it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers mate, yep she will be getting a full service first..just going to change everything as i suspect it has been a while...Do i need to worry about timing chains at 90k? She sounds very smooth, no rattling at all.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Thanks Owen G60, will investigate further...