davidwort

cleaning lambda sensors

yeah, I was pretty sceptical, but the wideband 5 wire manifold sensor from my golf is pretty expensive, so before the MOT I pulled it and soaked it in lemon juice for 2 days, giving it a good swill around and poking in the holes with a soft model-painting brush.

Two weeks later, and the sensor that was kicking the engine check light on after the car warmed up, every time, (it's got progressively worse, doing it every few weeks at first) has just passed the MOT and the light's stayed off for a fortnight.

So it does work, providing the sensor isn't physically broken in any way.

Solvents won't clean off the carbon deposits, so don't bother with carb cleaner, petrol etc, just try lemon juice or vinegar, it certainly bought up the outer cover of the sensor nice and clean, so I imagine the actual sensor metals inside have had a similar treatment.

I know post cat sensors, and those on older cars are cheap enough now as pattern parts but some sensors are pretty expensive and some cars have four, so it's worth a shot for a few pence :)

Well, I suppose I should have waited a while and posted this on pancake day :)

Little bottle of Tesco lemon juice as it happens, other brands are available :)

you will have seen some bubbles too - citric acid, pH around 3, reacting with the Carbon deposits to release CO2 and water.