hellokarl69

Corrado for the 21st century?

Hi Guys n Gals. I've been flying around different forums of the VAG variety for a couple of months now with the initial intention of building a bang up to date 'Rado. My initial idea was to go the R32 turbo route but after being brought down to earth with some eye-watering quotes for the engine build (to a bulletproof spec) i've decided to go a different route. I've been and bought a VR6 Corrado in readiness (i bought 2 actually. The second was such a bargain it would have been rude not to! lol). As i want to go AWD i also went and purchased a Golf syncro boot floor, 2 x syncro rear subframes (don't ask) and syncro rear wishbones. After much deliberation i've decided to sack the syncro route and go for a bespoke rear subframe fabrication that will utilise the TT rear end bits (gen4 haldex, wishbones and shortened driveshafts). Maybe i'm a few sarnies short of a picnic but that's the plan. My aim is to end up with a Corrado built around the full TT running gear, loom, dash, seats and the TFSI 2.5 engine. Oh and to add another twist, i want to run the DSG gearbox too! Sounds like fun doesn't it Feel free to mock and laugh amongst yourselves but this is going to be built this year. The shell is off to be chemically stripped prior to test-fit fabrication, if i can't find a decent fabricator for the rear subframe, i'll do it myself. The original boot floor should be able to stay put due to sacking the idea of syncro. Then it's a few late nights of fitting back together (LMAO.....that part's a joke) and before you know it there will be a new ride in town! Comments please and any help or advice would be appreciated! I will start posting pics and updates once the shell's back from the acid bath

Copy n paste of what I said on edition...

Corrado for the 21st century has been done already if u need more info; check out Jay Renshaws old rado/Vick's current corrado.

If you can get all that done in a year without paying someone a ludicrous amount I'd be very surprised.

Your looking at 8-10k for a drive in drive out r32 swap with dsg without 4wd. Your current plans will cost you double if not more.

Have u sourced a tt-rs lump yet? What are you going to do regarding the loom and fueling etc?

Genuinely interested btw.

Go big or go home! Like your style and would love to see this completed!

Get cracking and don't stop until its done!

It's all do-able but i haven't come across anyone who's gone down the bespoke subframe route before. It just seemed the obvious choice if you want the correct fitment for the bits i intend to use. I wil be using the TT rear hubs and i want full adjustability on the camber and ride height to get the corner weighting balanced. As long as the roll centre is set correctly, it will feel just the same but hopefully better than using the syncro rear.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

I've built numerous cars from a bare shell over the years, so it's all fairly basic stuff really. I'll be utilising the full TT loom to complement the dash and engine. I haven't got an engine yet but i have come across a couple on various international sites. I have seen and admired the work jay Renshaw did on his car and i do appreciate that i'm covering old ground on the TT dash and AWD but i do feel that this car will be the first to be built to this spec al in one car. Fuelling shouldn't be a major concern because i'll be using most of the donor bits from the TT and may fit extra surge protection if need for fuelling purposes.

Copy n paste of what I said on edition...

Corrado for the 21st century has been done already if u need more info; check out Jay Renshaws old rado/Vick's current corrado.

If you can get all that done in a year without paying someone a ludicrous amount I'd be very surprised.

Your looking at 8-10k for a drive in drive out r32 swap with dsg without 4wd. Your current plans will cost you double if not more.

Have u sourced a tt-rs lump yet? What are you going to do regarding the loom and fueling etc?

Genuinely interested btw.

I don't know anywhere near as much as you about fueling/forced induction/AWD systems etc etc, so everything you've said has made me sit up and take notice. I would be very interested in seeing this materialise, and wish you the best of luck for the build mate! I'm sure it won't be without a few hurdles and some headscratching moments, but you seem to know what your doing so best of luck! :thumbleft:

i think there were a few 21st Century Corrados - Renshaws as mentioned, BiggerBigBens with the TVR interior and 4WD, and Coxylaaaaaads version (now owned by 87Jetta?). Maybe PhatVR6 had some interesting developments too, but not sure. You could use those as references. Then again you could also use OSV's Corrado as the final word in OEM+.

Still sourcing the bits at the mo, so no pics to post. Have spoken to a friend who's been a touring car top competitor for years about the rear subframe and i think we may have a plan! Just got to get round to taking all the neccessary measurementsfrom the 'Rado and TT rear end bits to see what we can configure. All good stuff! I stil went out and purchased the VR6 syncro rear end bits as a last resort but i can't see them being needed. Could be a near future "Sale" of those plus a pair of standard Syncro rear arms that i bought before i knew there was a 22mm track difference DOH!!! lol. Just missed out on a TTRS lump that went for a song-displeased is not the word. Never mind. I do intend to hit the ground running once the bits are in hand. Guesstimate approx 3 month build. Oh and had second thoughts about the colour......looking like black now......didn't want to be accused or being a Renshaw plagiarist ;-).

Not 21st century at all but, what about the old Jaguar IRS back end? It would be tricky matching front and back diff ratios plus different hubs means different PCDs. But they've been put in so many different of cars that there's lots of experience and solutions kicking about. One will be going in my V8 Viva project. Powrlock LSD, oh yes.

Hi there again people. It's been a while since i've updated this thread but i'm in need of a little technical assistance! Does anyone know what rear driveshaft configuration i will need to utilise the latest rear haldex unit plus the VR6 syncro rear arms?..... I am having to compromise on the rear end (by going syncro beam and arms) but i didn't want to spend months testing different custom rear subframes.

If anyone has knowledge of the fitting for the latest haldex unit and which (if any) rear driveshafts will drop straight in, it would be greatly appreciated.

We're now getting closer to full steam ahead but i just need to iron out the glitches before i encounter problems.

Anything is possible, as long as you have a plan and are really good at this type of thing. Which sounds like you are. The local VW shop here did a full S4 conversion in a 1990 Corrado with dash and full working climatronic also quattro.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Anything is possible, as long as you have a plan and are really good at this type of thing. Which sounds like you are. The local VW shop here did a full S4 conversion in a 1990 Corrado with dash and full working climatronic also quattro.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Any details on that ?

Sounds like a big build. Where are you based? You are free to look over mine if you are nearby anytime- but I didn't build it so can't help on that front!