Walesy

8v Lovin'

What a sad end and what a total tw@ in the Saab :-( I'm glad your wife is OK and it looks like there may be some salvagable parts from the car. Looked a good'un too!

Just to add - I loved my 8V! 192k and the oil was still golden 5k after an oil change. In a way it still is an 8V, it just now has a turbo and runs on diesel :-)

sh!t mate thats terrible! glad to hear she's relatively okay, seeing the baby seat in the car made me feel a bit sick too - sounds bad to say i'm relieved it was 'just' your wife in the car but you know what i mean.

hope everything goes okay with insurance, but you don't need me to tell you that even a corrado is only metal.. i hope your wife has a speedy recovery.

all the best bud

Baz.

I'm with Baz mate, hope everything works out.

Sorry to see it go pear shaped so quickly.

Happy to hear your wife was relatively unhurt, shame thats another minter off the road though :( Don't let the insurance thieves take you for a ride.

the main thing is your wife is ok, the corrado is at the end of the day just a car that can be replaced easily enough.

Sad about the car but glad your wife is OK. Hope the insurance works out well for you. There seems to be a lot of Corrado's getting damaged on here recently.

Have you tracked the driver down yet and rammed the 8v up his arse!! When you said on your side of the road i assumed it would be a narrow twisty road with no markings. No excuse for that corner really

couldn't believe this when I saw the pics, I imagine you are both shaken up by that, glad she seems fine, so weird you had just started this thread too.

Edited by davidwort

Yeah, the fella that hit her was 'foreign' lets say, so looking at how far over the line he was I wouldn't be surprised if he had forgotten what side of the road we drive on in the UK.

I'm on the insurance trail now, I can only assume that it'll be a compete write off - the insurance company have said that if it's deemed unsafe to be back on the road then I'm not allowed to have the car back to take bits off it, which will be a shame as there's a fair bit of meat on the bones. My wife (Emily) is a bit rough this morning, very stiff and she's been sick a few times, just shock I expect, she's just totally gutted about the car, as is my boy :(

And yep, believe it or not one of the first things I thought was about this thread, how bloody weird!

It's never good to see a Corrado being taken out of commission but as others have said the main thing is your OH is ok, despite being a bit shaken.. fingers crossed for a decent insurance pay out! :|

Yeah, we'll see what they come up with, I think we all know that it'll be a fight to get much more than a grand for it, I almost feel like sending them a link to this thread to show it was a cherished example! :lol:

As a side note, I ordered a set of Audi TT arms and blades for it the same I day I started this thread, was supposed to be picking them up today but have just rung Audi to ask for a refund and they cant refund me for the arms as they were a special order :( the fella I spoke to is going to speak to his boss but If I have to buy them still then does anyone here want them for what they cost me? (can't remember how much, think they were about £50 each or somewhere around that price)

Edited by Walesy

Yeah, we'll see what they come up with, I think we all know that it'll be a fight to get much more than a grand for it, I almost feel like sending them a link to this thread to show it was a cherished example! :lol:

As a side note, I ordered a set of Audi TT arms and blades for it the same I day I started this thread, was supposed to be picking them up today but have just rung Audi to ask for a refund and they cant refund me for the arms as they were a special order :( the fella I spoke to is going to speak to his boss but If I have to buy them still then does anyone here want them for what they cost me? (can't remember how much, think they were about £50 each or somewhere around that price)

I'm interested in these. Saves me a trip to Audi. Just a couple of points;

How much all in would you want?

Is this all I need to complete the mod?

And would i get the receipt for my SH?

That is unbelievable! So sorry to see that, but very glad that, at the end of the day,the most important point is your wife is ok after this.

Still gutting nonetheless.

Dougie

Yacobwood, I'll see what Audi come back with, if I'm honest it'd be preferable if they just give me my money back as it's a 35 mile round trip for me to pick them up etc, however if they dont refund me, to answer your questions;

I would want roughly what they owe me, I think it was £130 for the two arms and two blades, obviously I'd cover postage etc.

Yes, it's all you need to complete the mod, just screw them on it'll take a few mins.

Yes I would send the receipt with the wiper kit unopened.

I'll let you know when they've rung me back.-

Glad your wife is okay, it looks like a pretty nasty accident.

For the insurance, your best chances are to hold onto the car if you have somewhere to store it - don't let them take it away unless you know exactly where and why. They'll want to take it away (and they will have to assess the damage), which is fair enough, but make sure that it's on the understanding that you'll get the car back once the assessment is complete (you may have to pay trailer charges to and from the assessment garage). Or alternatively, you can get an engineer's report from a garage you can trust. When my MK2 was in an accident, the insurance company told me they wanted to pick it up and take it away for the assessment - I asked them where it was going and it turned out to be a breaker's yard! I argued with them, and they agreed to take it to a garage instead, and return it to me afterwards

The car will be a write-off - no doubt about that - probably a Cat C from just looking at it, but as soon as the insurance company offer to 'dispose of' the car for you, you've lost your bargaining chip. Take loads of photos of the car before it goes in for the assessment - some rarer or novelty bits tend to go missing, especially if the garage is not expecting the car to be repaired, and photos will aid you if this happens, and also if the condition of the vehicle changes while it's away. Once you get the car back from having the assessment done, start stripping the car of anything you might want to keep (but hold off on full breaking for now), regardless of whether you can buy it back again or not. Reject their first offer always as it is only the book price for traders. Send photos of the car and classifieds of similar cars to support your case. Make it clear from the start that you will want to buy it back - most insurers no longer 'officially' allow this, but they will often let you do it if you argue long enough.

To put it into perspective - I was offered £500 for the MK2 I had, but eventually managed to get £900 (still short of what I'd have liked, but isn't it always...), minus £60 to buy the car back (I then made £1500 from breaking it). If the same is true for yours, then you should be able to replace it with a decent condition Corrado (if you still want one)

Thanks for the post, that's good information. The insurance company (Bell) have told me that it is against their policy to let me have the car back if it's deemed as unsafe to put back on the road, I have told them that I would like to have it back.

OH MAN! wasn't expecting to see this Walesy, so plesed your lady walked away though. Unbelievable mate is all i can think of :(

Another one bites the dust :( Hope the other half gets better soon.

I've been falling out of love with mine over the last few weeks. But having cleaned out the arches of mud and putting the summer wheels back on soon found the love again :)

p.s. YHPM.

OMG. I am so glad to hear your wife was OK.. though she will probably start hurting more before getting better.

If you need any help with the offer I've the receipt for £1.6k for the 8v I bought 2 years ago with 135k miles and a few bodywork dents if it helps to get your offer increased.

Cheers all, and cheers for the PM's. Regarding the wipers, I haven't heard back from Audi and it's the least of my worries really, I will sort it out on Monday, thanks for the tips.

I'm not really sure that I'll be putting up a huge fight about getting the car back, I certainly wouldn't be putting it back on the road if I bought it back and I'm not sure that I can be arsed with breaking it etc, I'll see how I feel about it after the weekend :) I did however managed to swipe the rear VW badge off it yesterday when I was collecting her belongings from it, so that'll go on Ebay :lol: The extent of the damage was quite shocking when looking around it in the compound, the pics on here dont really capture how bad the damage was in the drivers footwell, how she managed to get out of it with both of her legs/feet in tact I've literally no idea.

Em's has been pretty rough for the last day or so - VERY uncomfortable, nauseous, and emotional. One of the worst things for her is that she can't lift our son or do anything for/with him which is upsetting him as well as her, aside from the pain etc. She's also a bit freaked out by how much worse it could have been if it wasn't for various factors, so hasn't slept much etc etc - all in it's a pretty shcitty situation :(

Butterfly, cheers, any tips on how you achieved that payout would be appreciated, I'm assuming I'll have to send some pics/info on the car and try my best to find other treasured examples for sale and send links etc, I would like to get as much as £2000 as I think that's what it was worth.

Edited by Walesy

If it's any help, there's one almost identical for sale on Autotrader:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201203443412608/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/corrado/make/volkswagen/radius/1501/page/1/postcode/wn80lw/quicksearch/true?logcode=p

Factor in the slightly higher mileage, small amount of body corrosion and the fact that this one is an auto, you'll not be unreasonable to ask 2k.