AlabamaScott

Dash board fuse blowing...

Hello, my name is Scott and I live in Birmingham, Alabama, USA. I bought my first Corrado 92' SLC a couple of weeks ago. Lots of fun to drive

So far my only problem is the dash lights don't work. Didn't look when I bought it and it would not of stopped me from buying. So the dash

lights are on the same fuse #3 (10amp) as the plate light in the back. I put in a fuse and the plate light worked, when I turned the dash

light dim dial it pops the fuse everytime. So I ordered a new light switch from 8vMatt from his group buy. When I got the switch, which is

very nice and of good quality, I fitted it in and bingo I had sweet dash lights. I was so thrilled "sorted" my first problem. Well went out last

night to take the wife and daughter for a ride and no dash lights. Changed the fuse and blowes it. The only difference is that the car was

running when I flipped the switch. Any helpful hints would be great. Thanks in advance, and I love this forum. I will try to get some pictures

of the new ride soon.

Thanks, Scott

possible that there is a trapped wire in the dash area somewhere, check the stereo wiring and if that all looks fine check behind the speedo cluster. if all looks fine you may have to follow the wiring from the fuseboard to all relevant connections

good luck

I had a very similar problem after I had my dash out to change the heater matrix. In my case fuse 3 would blow if I had the lights on and opened the door. The first time this happened I saw a small amount of smoke coming from the light switch. The wire-wound coil for the dimming function had burnt out too, meaning that the dash lights would only work on full brightness when I had a good fuse installed. I suspected a faulty switch to start with so replaced it.....same thing happened and I ended-up with another (expensive!) switch with no dimming function.

I found the problem was due to wiring that had been added over the years. If I recall, it was for an old lights-on buzzer or aerial amplifier. As quicky says, check the wiring. If you find anything that looks like it has been added (i.e. covered with electrical tape) trace it back and see where it goes. If possible take it out and try again.

Hope it helps!